Subtitles from FCP to AVID

Posted by Mat Dee 
Subtitles from FCP to AVID
May 12, 2006 12:29PM
Hi guys

Is there a smooth way I can export my subitles from my FCP timeline to an AViD MC (that has the same video but with no subtitles)?

M.
Re: Subtitles from FCP to AVID
May 12, 2006 08:15PM
Maybe exporting out of FCP using the Animation codec to preserve the title tracks transparency?

andy
The Duck should be able to handle this with ease. Just Recreate Title in Avid. You may have to import the subtitle timeline into a new bin, open the sequence, and copy out the title segments to the program V2 track. I recall you could do that... and it should key out just fine. Hopefully.

Ask Wes.

www.automaticduck.com

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
May 13, 2006 04:21AM
Thanks. I'll try both.
May 13, 2006 08:36PM
You should try Belle Nuit as well.

Also, if you know a little about AppleScript you can use my TitleExchange to create a STL from the FCP sequence and then use PhotoShop scripting to create high quality subtitles from the STL and then use an EDL to transport that into Avid.
There are some advantages going this way, since you can create editable subtitles. So if you know a little about AppleScript and want to use it, I can post a PhotoShop script, which creates both PICTs and PSD files, but only for DVDSP - you have to add some lines to create an alpha channel, which is needed for the Avid.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Belle Buit's been around for ages! Forgot about it. Never thought of it as an exchanger.

You describe an interesting workflow, but a lot of steps. They stay editable in Avid or come in as PSD's?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
May 14, 2006 06:58AM
No, I'm sorry Andreas I do a lot in Photoshop but unfortunately i don't know much about apple scripts. Thanks for your help though.

M.
May 14, 2006 09:10AM
Loren Miller wrote:

> Belle Buit's been around for ages! Forgot about it. Never
> thought of it as an exchanger.
It works fine since it can read XML and outputs EDL plus the files you need.
>
> You describe an interesting workflow, but a lot of steps. They
> stay editable in Avid or come in as PSD's?
They are PSD's, the script I described does save two versions - one as a real PSD file with editable text and maybe effects and one, which is flattened to a format like TIFF or PICT or TGA, so if you have to change something, open the original PSD, change the text, style, outline, etc. and save then save a copy the flattened file format. This will change finally the source for multiple outputs and as said if you have to work with multiple applications, it's worth to learn a little about scripting and the basics of XML, EDL and so on, because it can save tons of time for you and can keep things in synch.

Andreas
>
> - Loren
> Today's FCP 5 keytip:
> Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !
>
> The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
> Now available at KeyGuide Central:
> www.neotrondesign.com

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
May 14, 2006 09:19AM
Mat Dee wrote:

> No, I'm sorry Andreas I do a lot in Photoshop but unfortunately
> i don't know much about apple scripts. Thanks for your help
> though.
No problem, but if you do a lot with Photoshop, you may have a look at the samples for scripting, which come with PhotoShop or are availble.

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics