Fan Trailers

Posted by Shane Ross 
Fan Trailers
May 17, 2006 10:41PM
OK...most the time when people ask "how do I get footage from a DVD so that I can edit it?" we KNOW what they are doing with it. I just hope they are half as talented as THIS guy:

I was in tears it is so funny.
Re: Fan Trailers
May 18, 2006 02:35AM
OH WOW
that is amazing
that guy(or gal) has skills (and a dang good eye)

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Anonymous User
May 18, 2006 03:26AM
That was fabulous.

May 18, 2006 03:48AM
I want more!!!

I almost makes me want to watch the epic original again...if only I had the 3 days spare tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 18, 2006 04:23AM
I found the trailer "Must Love JAWS" from the same creator...

<!^-^!>

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 18, 2006 09:25AM
Really clever. The skills were definitely honed on Ben Hur.

Nice catch Shane!!

Sailho

May 18, 2006 10:57AM
> I found the trailer "Must Love JAWS" from the same creator...

Thanks for the link, Ben, though I don't think this Jaws trailer actually succeeds in doing what these things do -- not like the Shining trailer. It seems like the creator tried to rely on music, but failed to recontextualize the footage. Just my two cents. The "10 Things I Hate about Commandments" was a lot more successful.

I do enjoy the idea behind these things, though...even though theoretically speaking, it's copyright violation!
May 18, 2006 11:22AM
Shining trailer? You mean there are more?

May 18, 2006 12:54PM
Oh yeah Ben. It's a whole sub-culture online. Look it up on Wikipedia under "re-cut trailers". There you'll find links to most of the best of these including a sub-sub-culture of Brokeback Mountain trailers using different films (my friend edited a hillarious Brokeback trailer using the He-man cartoon and the original Brokeback trailer audio).

Among the best of the fake trailers are: Shining and Sleepless in Seattle. And of course 10 Things which rocketted up the charts for me.

Andy
May 18, 2006 01:00PM
Great stuff...great timing & sense of humor. Nice use of the slide transition.

Ahhhhh...the POWER of the TRAILER!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Anonymous User
May 18, 2006 01:31PM
Parody is the exception the the copyright laws.

Otherwise, Saturday Night Live would be SOL, not SNL!

but, I'm not a lawyer.

;-P

Post Edited (05-18-06 11:32)
May 18, 2006 01:42PM
> Parody is the exception to copyright laws.

Not quite, Deb...parody is specifically mentioned in copyright law. The difference in this case is that they are using the *actual* footage from the films. Parody or not, that's copyright violation unless they cleared it with the distributors and producers. "Weird Al" Yankovic can't parody songs unless he gets permission from the publishers, though in his case, at he probably doesn't have to deal with master rights because he's re-recording the instrumental tracks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics