FCP vs. Avid Glossary

Posted by Mat Dee 
FCP vs. Avid Glossary
May 20, 2006 04:22AM
Does anyone have a link to or list of FCP terms and how they translate into Avid. I have to do some work on an Avid (although I prefer FCP) and I would like a list (like for instance what is the "Ripple Delete" command called on an Avid?).

M.
Re: FCP vs. Avid Glossary
May 20, 2006 06:55AM
Highlight the clip you want to delete by clicking on it
Press 't' to mark an in and out point around the clip
Then hit x to ripple delete or z to delete (lift)

If it's audio and you've made an adjustment, the first delete will only delete the adjustment, so you have to hit delete again to get rid of the clip.
Re: FCP vs. Avid Glossary
May 20, 2006 12:30PM
Ripple delete is called, "extract" in Avid. Highlighting the clip is unecessary an can only be done in "segment mode" in an avid. You'll probably work outside of segment mode most often. In those cases, place the playhead on the clip anywhere, making sure that the correct tracks are active in the sequence, hit T to "mark clip" and X to "extract".

There's a good book called "FCP for Avid Editors" which goes into the differences between the two machines. It's meant as a guide for Avid editors, but it works in some ways the other direction too. However, a lot of the terms for Avid are the same in FCP. A roll edit is a roll edit; a slip is a slip. Mostly it's the various windows that are called by different names. Here's a few off the top of my head.

Browser = Project Window
Viewer = Source Monitor
Canvas = Sequence Monitor
Log and Capture Window = Record Tool

Though terms might be similar, your biggest obstacle will be architectural design differences. Avid doesn't use cursor tools like Roll cursor or Track Select (although they do have segment mode as I mentioned above). Effects aren't stackable except by a process known as "stepping in" to the effect. There are a lot of differences there and it'll just take some time to learn them all.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics