Buying New G5 - Wait for Intel?

Posted by bhollyman 
Buying New G5 - Wait for Intel?
May 30, 2006 10:07AM
Question: should I wait for the new "G5" Intel replacement or just go ahead and buy the current G5 Quad machine? I can hobble along on what I have till year end. If there is a Forum that already answered this, I apologize for wasting your time (I didn't see any posts on this)

I am buying a new edit machine and want to edit uncompressed so the G5 Quad looked like the ticket until the new Intels hit. I am running FCP/Motion, etc. and will buy a board for uncompressed, etc. I am also wary of peripheral compatibility issues while new technology gets worked out.

Burnes
Re: Buying New G5 - Wait for Intel?
May 30, 2006 10:25AM
Please use the Forum Search - it is a very handy tool. This subject has been discussed ad nauseam. Here's one thread:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Mike Horton,

This subject should be added to the FAQ.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 30, 2006 11:11AM
Thanks for the insight. That said, I used to think my Dual 500s G4 was "blazingly fast" and would last me for several years when I was running FCP 1.0.

I will go ahead with the Quad purchase and not look back!

I agree this would make a great FAQ entry...

Burnes
May 30, 2006 12:13PM
<<< I used to think my Dual 500s G4 was "blazingly fast" and would last me for several years when I was running FCP 1.0 >>>

I hear ya, b. Until December 18th, 2005, I was pounding on my Dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver - which was the fastest Mac at that time in '02. It did last me almost 4 years (still crankin'), but little did I know it would be replaced by a Quad Core 2.5 Ghz machine and my 8 year old boy would end up using it to play games online.

Technology is a wonderful ($$$ and expensive $$$) thing tongue sticking out smiley

Get at least 4 Gigs of RAM if you plan on using After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator on that box with FC Studio.

Good Luck.

- Joey

Post Edited (05-30-06 11:00)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 30, 2006 12:44PM
> I will go ahead with the Quad purchase and not look back! <

Ad nauseum or not, I still maintain buying a G5 today is a bad idea. But it's not my money. If it was my money, I would wait or find a used machine to plug a hole in my system till the Intels fly.

bogiesan
May 30, 2006 01:02PM
And whatever you get, get at least 6 or better yet 8 gigs of ram if you want to use Motion 2 properly.

Kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
May 30, 2006 06:36PM
>get at least 6 or better yet 8 gigs of ram<

and a couple porsche 911s while youre at it...
May 30, 2006 07:08PM
pfff, 911's get the carrera gt, honestly, are you broke?

but seriusly, the whole "intel vs quad" debate going on is well pointless, in 18 months, people are gonna have the same conversation weather or not the intel X vs intel Y is better, and peopl will have the same debate until computers are the size of a quarter and working faster than we can harness and they only cost a nickel. so i say this

wait 30 years ad deal with what you have,

or go out and buy the machine that you need, if you Can hold off for a few months than get the intel, but if't sneeded tommorow get teh quad

Amateur Teacher
May 30, 2006 07:45PM
The G5 and Mac Mini with Intel are 2 very different machines.

With the Mac mini, you can't open the hood and add/swap anything except 1 stick of RAM.

No sound card, no video card, no SATA card... no addl internal HD.

I saw it in person at Apple Store The Grove last month, and will get one. I also saw it at Best Buy Hollywood (LaBrea & Romaine)... it is an awesome machine as I wrote about last month.

It won't be a matter of G5 vs Mac Intel, it will be a matter of having a Mac Intel, with Boot Camp, to run Window apps on a Mac., alongside the G5.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics