resetting scratch disk

Posted by bknyedits 
resetting scratch disk
June 01, 2006 02:21PM
I now have my media files and project files copied onto my new GRaid terabyte. I also just trashed my preferences for my FCP 4 & 4.5. Afterwards, I downloaded FCP rescue utility as instructed. Please explain what I need to do next since I'm very new with this process. Also, does this mean my scratch disk is also in this external drive?

Help.....Thanks!

Re: resetting scratch disk
June 01, 2006 10:59PM
What to do next? In what series of events? What are you trying to accomplish? I'd say if you have your clips and your project file, you might want to try editing.

As far as your scratch disk, you need to tell FCP where to set it after trashing your preferences. The default is the system drive (for some odd reason) so you'll have to set it to your G-Raid in your system preferences. Click on the Scratch Disks tab and you should be able to figure it out from there.

On a side note, I wouldn't put both your media files AND your project files on the same drive. That's kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket. If you have an issue with that one drive, you've not only lost your media, but your ablility to re-batch digitize your media.

At the very least ensure that your Autosave Vault is on a different drive from where you save your project files.

Andy
June 02, 2006 12:44AM
Hi Andy, As I've said, I downloaded FCP rescue utility software. Do I need to click on any of the buttons to make sure my files are okay? I'm really concerned about this.

About the media and project files, I was told to dump them in the GRaid so I can have an editor begin working on my project. How do I make sure my Autosave Vault is placed on a different drive?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks again.
June 03, 2006 12:21AM
I don't know that software so I'm not sure what you'd do or not do. However, if it's used to restore preferences, there are ways to save them that don't require software.

Trashing your preferences is a catch-all fix for a lot of wonky FCP behavior. Once they've been trashed, FCP remakes them from scratch as soon as you open FCP again. That means that you'll have to set up all the settings and scratch disks to the way you want it. Once that's completed, you can copy those preferences and save them in another location in case you ever have to trash your preferences again. If that happens, you'll only have to copy back your saved prefs in order to have everything as it once was.

Talking about the GRaid: are you giving the drives to another editor for editing, or are they editing on your computer? If they are working on your computer, then there is no reason to have your project file be on the same drive as your media.

On my system. I have the project files on my system drive. The media is on a media drive. And the autosave vault is on a 2nd internal drive. In the scratch disk settings in FCP you can set the desitnation of your autosave vault. It helps to keep it's location on a different drive than your project files. If the unthinkable happens and you have a catastrophic meltdown on the drive that houses your project file, you'll still be able to access your last autosave file and continue working.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics