Hi-8 Capturing...

Posted by Darren 
Hi-8 Capturing...
June 29, 2006 12:28PM
I solved this problem working around the hurdle, but I was wondering the "Why?"

Doing a graduation video for my friends son. He gave me Hi-8 tapes of his son's swimming competitions (recorded at LP speed - I know, I know). I didn't have an 8mm camcorder and asked my dad to borrow his Digital 8 Sony camcorder with firewire to capture.

Now I only needed a total of 3 minutes from the tape (thank God) but I realized that FCP AND iMovie would not capture the footage. FCP would display the footage in the canvas fine, but when I clicked "Capture Now" the screen is black, and I can see the footage playing in the camcorders LCD viewfinder.

iMovie won't even have it show at all.

So I had my dad capture it as an .avi through Pinnacle on his PC. He then had some software that converted it to QT, but I had to resync the audio. All clips had the audio 4 to 8 seconds ahead.

But back to the "Why?" Is it because the source tape was analogue with no time code? Recorded in LP mode?

Thanks
-Darren
Re: Hi-8 Capturing...
June 29, 2006 02:37PM
Hmm, it should work. Back in the day, I recall being able to capture 8mm and Hi8 tapes with a Digital 8 camcorder. You might try using capture now with uncontrollable device control set.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics