HD in FCP

Posted by licfulee 
HD in FCP
July 16, 2006 06:43PM
Hi

Just recently took a job that I was most likely not set up for. I'm running off a G5 Dual 2.3 in FCP HD. I have a 10 Bit uncompressed HD quicktime (1080i) file that is roughly over 300 gigs. 32 mins of footage. I have the drive space but just recently relalized that my 800 firewire drive is not fast enough. Can anyone tell me a cost efficient way for me to edit this project in FCP HD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

licfu
Re: HD in FCP
July 16, 2006 08:42PM
Do a downconvert of the HD clip to SD, edit the SD, and conform back the HD when you're done.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
July 16, 2006 09:13PM
Or get yourself a good SATA Raid solution from Sonnet or Weibetech or Firmtek...
July 17, 2006 12:43AM
or macgurus

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Anonymous User
July 17, 2006 12:57AM
or from one of lafcpug's sponsrs, G-Tech or CalDigit or ProMax

:-)

July 17, 2006 01:35AM
true Mike
SUPPORT LAFCPUG

I was just basing my comment on my personal experience tho

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
July 17, 2006 02:26AM
I have a 10 Bit uncompressed HD quicktime (1080i) file that is roughly over 300 gigs. 32 mins of footage. I have the drive space but just recently relalized that my 800 firewire drive is not fast enough.

No kiddin'! ;-)

You need a LOT more horsepower with a file like that bro. You're due for a RAID Array.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 17, 2006 09:23AM
Do you understand that a "real" HD clip of 1080i at 10 bit will take around 200 MB/sec of disk throughput? Even a 4 stripe SATA RAID 0 will not effectively transfer at that speed.

SO, you got a clip to edit. Even if you choose to downconvert it first, you still need to recapture at full Rez to finish the project. Your system is not qualified to edit uncompressed HD footage as is.

You are going to need an HD capture card to do the downconvert correctly, or output full rez HD. Then you need a FiberChannel RAID system to facilitate the speeds required for uncompressed HD output.

Short of that, how else might you get this done?
July 17, 2006 09:39AM
The OP has the HD as a file - that can be downconverted in FCP and edited as an offline. Then it can be conformed back to (in slow time) produce a final edited HD file. That file can be given back to the person with the capture card who captured it in the first place, for output. There's no need for an HD card or fast drives for this project, although it would be much nicer with them!

Graeme

July 17, 2006 11:43AM
check these out!

230 mb/s 2k! 1.25 tb

[www.caldigit.com]

just called them....wont be built till end of month.
July 17, 2006 12:06PM
Graeme has the best advice, of course.

But just FYI, a 4 drive SATA Raid plays back incompressed 10-bit HD just fine. I get 230MB/s read/write all the way up to 65% full. Then it drops a little down to about 200MB/s...which still works.
July 17, 2006 12:18PM
Not necessarily best advice, but it's a cheap way to do it :-)

Graeme

July 17, 2006 12:51PM
Shane....what kind of controller card do you have?
July 17, 2006 12:56PM
Sonnet 4+4. Currently powering 4 internal Hitachi SATA drives that are installed inside my computer using what is called the "POPSICLE RAID."

Read all about it at www.LFHD.net. Scroll down or search for popsicle.

-shane
July 17, 2006 02:01PM
Shane,

My Quad has 4 - 500 GB internal SATA drives RAID = 0, and while I can also play out a 1080i 10 bit clip, I find this in now way capable of uncompressed HD editing chores. Perhaps adding another 4 stripes would help, but it really needs a FiberChannel RAID to work with multiple streams of HD.
July 17, 2006 02:07PM
It is good for playing out one stream of 10-bit HD. If you had a 10-drive SATA Raid (two Burly boxes for example) then you could get 2 or 3. But really, I don't edit with 10-bit uncompressed HD files. I don't layer 10-bit files. I do the initial cut at an offline resolution (DVCPRO HD...seeing that my footage is from the Varicam and HVX-200) and then UPCONVERT and render to 10-bit HD when I am ready to color correct and output. By that time I have gotten things down to 1 or two streams and playback is fine.

You don't need Fibrechannel...you can do SATA Raid. The biggest difference between them is that Fibrechannel drives can be stored far away from your edit bay. They can be downstairs in your Machine Room, or a mile away, if you had the cabling. SATA RAIDS need to be close. 6 feet or so. That is the biggest difference. Both work for uncompressed HD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics