urgent: any friendly Avid forums to recommend?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
urgent: any friendly Avid forums to recommend?
August 16, 2006 02:09PM
Hi Y'all-

I just got my first Avid job in ages - starts tomorrow! I cringe to think how long it's been since I touched an Avid, if anyone knows any free forums that are decent I'd appreciate a recommendation, Creative Cow perhaps?

Marla
Re: urgent: any friendly Avid forums to recommend?
August 16, 2006 02:38PM
Marla,

Didn't you try that Avid.com forum connection I gave you? The dude I recommended is a Beta Tester for Avid...knows his stuff.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 16, 2006 04:24PM
Marla,

You could download the AVIDfreeDV which is a DV only edit tool but it still uses the same interface and is FREE!

August 16, 2006 04:26PM
Thank you both - Joey - so much on my plate right now with juggling the jobs that I actually forgot that the forum you'd recommended was for Avid, sorry to be an idiot, hopefully a temporary condition,

Best,

Marl
August 16, 2006 05:51PM
Second the motion for downloading FreeDV. It's got all the main features of the big daddy. Good refresher is to put together a short sequence and you'll have at least your very basic Avid skills back. Like where stuff is located. A lot of stuff is NOT there however, so beware.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 16, 2006 07:31PM
[groups.yahoo.com]

This is the most knowledgeable AVID forum around. If you identify yourself as a newbie, they'll goe easy on you. If you're an arrogant know it all, then lookout!

Mark
August 16, 2006 09:36PM
Oh no = Avid-L...the Sequel!!! Know-it-alls GALORE!!! Those of you old timers KNOW about "The L".

Marla,

One more time winking smiley

[www.avid.com]

You will have to register. Once in, look on the Mac forums for my friend "BLKDOG" & tell him "grafixjoe" sent you. I was a Mod over there until I got less & less Avid work and more & more FCP work. They were not too thrilled with my FCP praising, as you can imagine smiling smiley

- Joey

August 19, 2006 08:00AM
Thanks Mark. Kevin, and Joey!

I had an old book by Steve Bayes that just so happens to correspond with the old version of Avid I'm cutting on (7.2 on the Mac)... My friends at Goldcrerst let me in for a couple of hours the night before the job started (no prep time, naturally it was a "can you start tomorrow" deal) and I boned up on the very basics.

I just need to stay ahead of the curve, worried about the graphics a little, and my editing speed, but at least I remember where the buttons are now and have a personalized keyboard... But man, the FCP-brain in my head experienced MAJOR resistence to re-mapping its synapses to all those separate modes for everything! Though the trim functions in the Avid are powerful. I never have found the equivalent in FCP, though maybe I'm just ignorant and they are there esomewhere...

The really startling thing is how genteel and nice these 2 producers are - it really puts my abusive boss at my other job in stark relief. Plus which, it's for Animal Planet so the material is full of barnyard fun.

I will look up your old BLKDOG buddy Joey, gonna register now. The drag is I don't have internet on their edit system and I'm working out of their home-studio (it's a whole floor of video stuff, but no internet)... So I'll have to get my questions answered at home, at night or in the morning... Yikes!

Thanks again,

Marl-still-in-NY
Re: urgent: any friendly Avid forums to recommend? Q for Joey!
August 19, 2006 08:22AM
Hi Joey-

I just tried to register but something's up with that function of the Avid forums site. My window just freezes each time I hit the create user button. Tried opening new windows and re-trying, but no go. When I clicked the contact us button, I just got sales, not the forum. Any way that you know of to contact them without being registered yet, to let them know I am experiencing difficulty registering?

Caught in a feedback loop!

Thx,

Marl
August 19, 2006 08:28AM
Oops-found a pdf tp download and got an address, still seems weird though,

Marl
August 19, 2006 06:16PM
This is the procedure you should be following:

* Go to [www.avid.com]
* In the menu bar, rollover Community & click Forums
* Upper Right corner, click "JOIN"
* Fill in your info & select "Create User"

If you are having trouble, you can email these folks:

webmaster@avid.com
customeradvocate@avid.com

- Joey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics