Markers on Multiclips - volatile? you're kidding me!

Posted by Nick Meyers 
Markers on Multiclips - volatile? you're kidding me!
August 21, 2006 01:28AM
i'm trying to add markers to multiclips, but as soon as you switch to another angle, and back again,
they're gone.

this cant be for real!

a workaround is to add markers to the clips FIRST then make the multiclips.
not great.

cheers,
nck
Re: Markers on Multiclips - volatile? you're kidding me!
August 21, 2006 07:55AM
Were you doing this in a timeline or on a multi loaded into the viewer?
I've noticed a few quirks with multiclips but haven't come across that one. Good to know as we were about to add transcriptions in markers. Will test first.

ak
August 21, 2006 08:36AM
noticed in the viewer.

i tried cutting the multiclip in the timeline, and they stuck there,
but if i dragged that clip back to the viewer, they would disappear from the viewer version.

our process involves the editor looking at the clip and placing markers.
not too much to ask, surely?

our work-aournd is to place the clips in the timeline, trimmed, and stacked.
editor views & marks,
THEN we make multiclips.

sheesh!

am i missing something?

nick
August 21, 2006 09:53AM
> am i missing something?

I don't think so.

> but if i dragged that clip back to the viewer, they would disappear from the viewer version.

Dragged from the browser or the timeline?

What process do you use to make your multi-clips from the stacked and annotated sequence?

Out of curiosity, how many video/audio sources are you managing in your multi-clips?

We're doing three cameras and two four track recorders. We get some wonky behaviour if we use any merge clip functions together with multi-clip and every once in a while we get a set of clips that don't sync by TC even if they do sync in a sequence.
We're shooting 23.976 XDCAM HD @ 25Mbit.
August 21, 2006 10:22AM
sorry.

i tried adding markers to the multis in the timeline, and dragging back to the BROWSER as a source.
but when loaded in the viewer, the markers would disappear.
when i switched angles in the viewer,
i could see them vanish from the browser version!

i have only 2 camera angles (may have 3 on some set-ups)
and 8 tracks of merged (linked) audio.
but the same thing happened on a DV clip with it's 2 tracks of audio.

to make the stacked & marked clips into multis:
make new bin.
drag timeline clips to bin.
lasso a pair of clips, (they are film-type clips, so they have like names, and sit next to each other)
open "make Multiclip window (got that mapped to Shift Apple * above number pad)
sync by in is default setting, so just hit enter.
simple.
its a drag then tidying that up... i have yet to find a way to sort the multiclips out,
(the "type" column is no help... and why not i ask!)
do you have any tips on this?

cheers,
nick
August 21, 2006 11:14AM
> sorry.
For what?

>i tried adding markers to the multis in the timeline, and dragging back to the BROWSER as a >source.
>but when loaded in the viewer, the markers would disappear.
>when i switched angles in the viewer,
>i could see them vanish from the browser version!

Wow. I should be able to see this for myself in a bit. That seems wrong though and approaching buggy behaviour IMHO.

>to make the stacked & marked clips into multis:
>make new bin.
>drag timeline clips to bin.
>lasso a pair of clips, (they are film-type clips, so they have like names, and sit next to each other)
>open "make Multiclip window (got that mapped to Shift Apple * above number pad)
>sync by in is default setting, so just hit enter.
>simple.

That's what we were doing before we got audio and video to get TC from one source reliably and now we are able to multi-clip by TC. No need to build sequences unless it's one of those odd ones that don't sync properly. You have to watch out for project size when you are doing this. All those new clips add up pretty quickly.

>its a drag then tidying that up... i have yet to find a way to sort the multiclips out,
>(the "type" column is no help... and why not i ask!)
>do you have any tips on this?

I am a big fan of the find tool. I have the assistants log scene, shot/take, angle, label, shoot day, episode number and a bunch of other stuff in the 'all purpose' columns so it's easy to narrow stuff down. If you drag the first find results window as a tab into your browser window all results will end up there as well. I do a find for Scene = XX and Type= multiclip and I keep it open and just build each scene from the find window. That gets around copying multi's and bins and watching project size balloon. The assistants use find to gather all the source clips for a multi-clip in one tidy view. They grumbled at first about having to add all the other info but they got over that.
Other than that I find multi-clips a wee bit buggy but I am working around the little ones as much as possible. You've found another that I hadn't come across. Once I am in a groove though I find it pretty smooth.

ak
August 22, 2006 08:34AM
i like the sound of your system.

turns out that sub-clipping causes the type to change from "multiclip" to Subclip"
so i cant sort or search by type.

i'm sub-clipping to get the audio down to size.
if the audio starts before the picture, (even in a handle) the multclips are all out of sync.

& even if i just subclip the audio and then link the un-subbed vision to it, the type becomes "Subclip" when i drag to the browser.

cheers,
nick
August 22, 2006 09:31AM
I have stayed away from subclips like they're the plague after past experience and from reading this and other forums. I'm not a big subclip user on Avid gigs either. Although the "import ALE and make subs based on master clips" function was a lifesaver back in MC 7.2.

You are seeing some behaviour we saw when we first got into this project during an unplanned (not by me) but much needed (by me) test phase.
You mentioned that you group your audio. Have you tried multi-clipping without the grouping process? This is where we saw some unwanted behaviour show up.

Some other fun little multi-clip behaviour we witnessed was, in a 3 camera, 2 audio unit multi,
where each audio unit is 4 tracks, one or two of the individual tracks of a four track clip would have slipped TC. The out of sync flag would be there and the audio would be in sync but you would have to live with the flags in your sequence. If you put the audio clip in straight, not from the multi, it would be fine. It only happened on a few sets and we couldn't identify the specific cause.

Have you tried searching the tracks column? If you always have, for example, 3 cameras and 8 tracks or audio in a multi you could search by that, i.e. Tracks=3V8A or whatever it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics