why can't I select just audio?

Posted by vizwiz 
why can't I select just audio?
September 04, 2006 10:20PM
please help a newbie in over his head, just editing my first project.

simple thing, just want to run audio from one clip under video of another. it won't let me select just the audio so i can delete one and paste another one in its place, anytime you click on clip in timeline, it selects both a and v.

of course manual comes up with 150 matches for 'select audio', so does internet and this forum. in a tutorial i watched, they just clicked on the audio and it selected....

got a 24p clip captured from a dvx100, 2 mono channels.

thank you.
Re: why can't I select just audio?
September 04, 2006 10:41PM
> simple thing, just want to run audio from one clip under video of another. it won't let me
> select just the audio so i can delete one and paste another one in its place, anytime you click
> on clip in timeline, it selects both a and v.

What you need to learn is how linking works in Final Cut.

Usually, when you capture a clip from tape, audio and video are linked in the master clip.

There is an option called "Linked Selection" -- shortcut is SHIFT-L, and you can see when it's active by the button on the top right of your timeline -- two circles linked together; if it's green, Linked Selection is on. When Linked Selection is on, clips that are linked will be selected together. When Linked Selection is off, links are overridden so you can select each part of linked pairs separately. But you aren't *breaking* the link; you're just overriding it. Once you turn Linked Selection back on, the clips are still linked.

To break the link between clips, select one part and press APPLE-L. Now the clips can be selected independently regardless of Linked Selection. To relink them, select all the parts and press APPLE-L.

You can also override linking temporarily by holding down OPTION. You can then select and modify one part of linked groups without selecting the others.

www.derekmok.com
September 04, 2006 11:56PM
Put it in the FAQ, Derek!!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
September 05, 2006 12:11AM
> Put it in the FAQ, Derek!!

Here's my YouTube nimrod moment...how?

Been outta the loop on the FAQ tip. |:-=P

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics