How to speed up web video loading

Posted by J.Corbett 
How to speed up web video loading
September 11, 2006 01:12PM
if you guys have time can you take a look at:
www.creekcitytv.com/Ride_4_web.mov

this video is 622mb it take about 4 - 7 minutes to load. this is way to long for a viewer to wait.
once you see it can you give me suggestions as to how to cut the load time.

i really apreciate all of you who reply. thanx

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: How to speed up web video loading
September 11, 2006 01:15PM
One thing you can do is make the size 320x240, i think 320 is a very aceptable size for internet video nowadays
also, this video's quality is really good, maybe compromise on quality just a little to see what that does?

how did you export this video?
September 11, 2006 01:29PM
i used qt conversion to sorenson movie. the sorenson is the only thing i can get pc's to play.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
September 11, 2006 01:30PM
i used qt conversion to sorenson movie. the sorenson is the only thing i can get pc's to play.

ps how long did it take for the movie to download 4 u?

""""
September 11, 2006 01:35PM
My Safari window shows that this movie file is 326MB. Even then, that's massive. How long is this sucker anyway? With my DSL connection, a 326MB file would take around 30 minutes to download; I'd never wait around that long.

Judging from the streaming and playback speed, your piece is about three to five minutes long. You should aim for 20-50MB. Should get pretty respectable quality. It ain't gonna matter how good the quality and frame size are if the viewer doesn't stick around long enough to see it.

www.derekmok.com
September 11, 2006 02:15PM
I started downloading at my first reply, 11:15..now it's 11:45 and it's still going. Maybe other peple are downloading stuff in my building too...but that's way too long...I think even 5 minutes is too long to wait. I agree with derek....cut that bad boy down to 20 to 30mb.

do you have cleaner or flip for mac? those work great for me.

it came out to be 325.6...I actually saved it to my desktop just to see it on its own window.
September 11, 2006 02:19PM
325.6 you are correct it is 5:53min.

i really wanted to show it in its entirety but i guess i could import to fcp find a cut point and make it 2mins.
is ther a standard as to to make a video snippet. would i let the first 2min play or would eye just find a point that i think it the heart of the story an just show that?

mok >>>>>
Judging from the streaming and playback speed, your piece is about three to five minutes long. You should aim for 20-50MB. Should get pretty respectable quality. It ain't gonna matter how good the quality and frame size are if the viewer doesn't stick around long enough to see it.

so even if i change the size/aspect raitio i would still have the same problem. i mean i feel that my clients would wait about 2.5mins tops to see it. but how can i determine how long this would take to download. i dont mind trial abd error but it cost me a little money when trial and error in on its 4 turn.

""""
September 11, 2006 03:53PM
> 325.6 you are correct it is 5:53min.
> i really wanted to show it in its entirety but i guess i could import to fcp find a cut point and
> make it 2mins.

J., the running time isn't the problem I see here. You should be able to get six minutes on there, no problem. Thing is, in my view, Sorenson 3 does a good job compressing...if your target size is relatively large. Whenever I use Sorenson 3 to make 30-second spots into 3-6MB files, it does a far, far worse job than MPEG-4. No comparison. If I make it 20MB, it looks better.

So I'd explore using MPEG-4, H.264 or another codec on your six minutes, get it down to 10-20MB. Try data rates between 400 and 700 kbps. Shrink the frame size if you need to (though it looks to me your piece is widescreen...not sure if 320x240 would be the way to go). The clips on my website are all three to six minutes long, and none of them is over 30MB. At this kind of length, squashing your audio is a great way to get the file size down. Try 64kbps for audio, Mono, 44.1kHz.

www.derekmok.com
September 11, 2006 04:27PM
Mok
when i use mpeg4 and burn to CD or DVD then give it to a client most of the time they say that they can get it to play back on thier PC's.

by it being on the web does that negate the previous problems i had with the data on cd/dvd?

""""
September 11, 2006 10:06PM
still wondering about the mpeg4 issue

""""
September 11, 2006 10:49PM
Why not upload it to youtube.com ?

They give you a limit of 300 MB and 10 minutes max.

Youtube turns your video into Flash. The size is down to 400 k or some ridiculously small file like that.

You can paste the code from youtube into your html and everybody can see your video.

Just a thought. It worked for me. I don't have any of the programs except for FCP5.

I'd also recommend that you reduce the size by making an h.264 file out of it. Your video will end up about 15 MB.

Good luck.
September 11, 2006 10:57PM
If you output to h.264 , how do you keep it in 16:9 aspect ratio? Mine always come out 4:3....What dimensions do you use for 16:9? Compression works well though and youtube loads them no worries....
September 11, 2006 11:42PM
> when i use mpeg4 and burn to CD or DVD then give it to a client most of the time they say
> that they can get it to play back on thier PC's.
> by it being on the web does that negate the previous problems i had with the data on cd/
> dvd?

It doesn't. Chances are, they are doing something wrong. You should upload a smaller file to the web, then try opening it using their system. If it's a PC/Mac issue, use Flip4Mac to make WMVs -- I've never met a PC that can't play WMVs.

YouTube is really, really lowball. If you're dealing with professional clients, forget it. Use an FTP site or your own website. YouSendIt (www.yousendit.com) can send 100MB files free of charge.

www.derekmok.com
September 12, 2006 10:18AM
i did h264 with 44.1 and got a 217mb on export of a 3:00:06min video. does anyone have a pc. i could up load a mpeg4 video to my site and then see if the dl works with pc.

""""
September 12, 2006 12:06PM
217MB is still huge -- 15-20 minutes download time. If the download takes longer than your piece lasts, industry people will still say to hell with watching this. What data rate did you choose? I think you're being too lenient with your compression settings. Get it to a manageable size or you'll defeat the purpose of putting the piece online.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics