HDV Audio Sync issues when capturing

Posted by Rich Johnson 
HDV Audio Sync issues when capturing
September 13, 2006 12:28PM
HDV is being captured through Kona LH as DV using their DV preset. I'm essentially converting some HDV footage to DV so it can be edited with other DV footage already captured. When viewing my captured footage I'm noticing everything seems in sync at the beginning, but by the end of the 45 minute capture my audio is about 1 second ahead of my video. Kind of a problem as the dancers are no longer close to being on the beat. It's an incremental problem as time goes by so realigning the video of each dance to better match the music isn't going to be 100% accurate either. How do I get my audio and video in sync on capture.
1. Could it be a Kona Control Panel setting?
2. Could it be a Final Cut Pro setting?
3. Could it be HDV loves to be difficult?
4. Could it be I committed the mortal sign of digitizing the video straight from the JVC HD100 camera using the firewire cable connected to the computer and then connecting the component cables and audio line out cable to the Kona Card. Would capturing through firewire only be more reliable if I'm converting the HDV to DV anyway?

I don't have an HDV deck and the source tape sounds dead on as I'm plugged into house sound so my starting point is correct.

In the past I've captured HDV using Kona's DVCPRO HD Preset without any issues when editing just HDV. This is a case where HDV is being mixed with DV which is why I had it converted on import. Thinking down the road I wanted to have one camera shooting HDV for future repurposing needs, but shooting DV on both cameras may have been a better choice. Please advise. Thanks.

Rich
Re: HDV Audio Sync issues when capturing
September 14, 2006 10:55AM
Just use firewire and do the down convert in the JVC. I assume it down converts. Seems to me you are complicating things here

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 14, 2006 10:57AM
You are messing yourself up by trying to fool HDV into being DV. You shouldn't be using the Kona DV codec to capture HDV.

The advanced Apple Codec is FCP 5 is the most accurate codec to be used with HDV - Sony's that is; as other HDV are not the same.

Sony HDV is not Canon HDV is not JVC HDV. Cripes, how much worse can it get?

Try using the Firewire connected HD100 with Apple Advance Codec and see what happens, first.
And consider this - DV is 4:1:1 color space and HDV is 4:2:0. Not a good way to convert from HDV (which is literally MPEG-2 compression) to the 4:1:1 with at least some luminance and chromanance full frame video (but yes also compressed).

You can get a good picture with the same HDV version (use only Sony or only Canon or only JVC,) but mixing HDV formats on the same timeline as others is not really dooable.
September 14, 2006 12:31PM
Thanks to both.

Michael-I have a master's degree in making things complicated at 3AM. I need to get back to a LAFCPUG meeting to retain my sanity and bring balance to the universe.

I'll be sure to try out the Apple Codec in FCP 5 instead of using the Kona DV codec when needing to downconvert HDV to DV.

I did get my audio problem fixed by reimporting the footage last night.

I will say when editing HDV natively I know Kona's DVCPROHD 59.94 works perfect for getting frame accurate HDV digitized into the system with no issues. Now just for the sake of brainstorming if I took that HDV clip and saved out a DV-NTSC quicktime movie (unchecked self contained) would it work to reimport that file into my project and use it with other DV clips.

Rich
September 14, 2006 12:35PM
Doesn't the JVC have a switch or menu setting that allows you to downconvert to DV while capturing? I Don't use the camera so don't know.

Next meeting is going to be killer. I'm real excited about it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 14, 2006 01:01PM
The JVC has a switch that lets the firewire cable or component outputs know what's coming from the tape. If you shoot HDV or DV with the camera the switch needs to be adjusted to the format in order for the tape to be output to the computer, external monitor, etc...

The downconvert actually happens through the capture card or firewire cable, because if I was to shoot HDV and decided to click the switch on the camera to DV the monitor or computer would see nothing but a blue screen when trying to output the footage.

Thanks,
Rich
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics