Can I barrow a currently playing video from someones website

Posted by J.Corbett 
Can I barrow a currently playing video from someones website
September 14, 2006 06:33PM
first godaddy tells me that it is possible that no one out of 9 people has updated their qt player. then they tell me that its possible to update the qt software without updating the codecs.

point is no matter what i load to my site ( tried 15 different work-flows ) it either wont play or it takes mire than 5 mins to load. i also tried qt sorenson with broadband medium got sound from a p.c. but no picture. i could go on and on with how many different things i have tried to get video to play within 1min of click. i want to become a suicide bomber and with the ability to regenerate body parts so i can run in godaddy, and cybersharks multiple times.

meanwhile i would like to download someone's video and then upload it to my site to see what happens. if this is possible let me know.

i have had quite a ride in getting to the point i am at if this website can not be done ill eventually have to give up 5000+ budgets to do projects and go way way back to wedding videos and graduations.

My lively hood is on the line here H E L P>>>>>>>>>>> S. O. S.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: 80% Eureka !!
September 15, 2006 01:59AM
i have had some success with something. still unsure if it is the ultimate fix for compatibility.
i have an old pc that has to be like 3 yrs old it has qt but like a 5 version or something. i hooked it up and tried to see the videos. i got nothing.. so i just simply updated to apples latest free DL. and it played it. the godaddy guy had said that it they cant see it maybe they arent updated to the latest version of qt. wow
i had like 5 people try it on pc's and they got nuthin. there are a lot of slackers out there.

i also fiddled with an mpeg4 and tried to use every broadband setting getting the most success with broadband medium. i am still a bit worried about 2 things.

1. if it is the norm for people to have older qt players what format could i use that would allow at least qt6 to see it i have entertained h263 or mp4 since Johan has made sorenson a bad word for net vids.

2. could have a " if video does not play get the latest QT from....pc/mac " link but i am wondering how many viewers would be willing to do that.

thanks

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
September 15, 2006 02:03AM
Thanks LAFCPUG

EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP

""""
Re: Can I barrow a currently playing video from someones website
September 15, 2006 07:28AM
one thing you have to understand is that web video is not a bulletproof medium. youre always going to run into at least say 5% to 10% of viewers who aree too behind the curve to see things.

this includes a number of big client types. government/schools/big corpoprations, where the user may or may not have admin access to their machine.

i personally am getting about 95% success lately with flash video and h.264. only a handful of folks werent current, and i was lucky enough that they were the forward thinking type and they happilly updated their players.

so YES, i would definitely add a download link to your page - just for those folk.

and as far as supporting the "out of date" folk. sorenson3 is fairly reliable
September 15, 2006 11:05AM
i have a bunch of swf/flv stuff ill happilly send you...
September 15, 2006 11:52AM
one thing that is important in web video is to embed the video in the page. if you click on a video and open the video in it's page then you are going to have it load slow, because on windows it must fully load before it will play it if it's any quicktime codec. but if you embed the video it will play as soon as it has enough loaded to play it and keep loading to play through... unless your bandwidth gets chewed up as it starts playing.

simple solution:

<embed src="FILE LOCATION ON SERVER" height="240" width="320">

now you can get more info in there to tell the server that it is quicktime, and yada yada yada, but that is all you truly need to get quicktime to work. (Windows Media is much more code)

but then again, some people with old quicktime still cant play stuff encoded newer...

so as a lame idea try to find a version of quicktime 1 and encode it with that... haha =]

"buy the ticket, take the ride" -Hunter S. Thompson
September 15, 2006 03:21PM
i have had enough success with the h264 to make that my codec maybe later i will go flv. if 80% of people can see that thats good. oh by the way the video is going to be embedded with some png's to click on for choices of video to watch.

soyi ( mandarin for 'so' ) i guess its all ftp from here.

""""
September 17, 2006 09:35PM
<<< maybe later i will go flv. >>>

The best thing that ever happened to Universal Playback was YouTube. Send your video to them in a graceful codec of your choice and pull it back down fully encoded.

People who would not update their machines at gunpoint ran with no regard for safety to update so they could view stuff on YouTube.

Koz
September 17, 2006 10:05PM
FLV's work great.
I think most people can see them, they stream well and the size is small.

take my reel from www.myspace.com/polhem and give it a go. (Think you can download it)

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
September 18, 2006 12:09AM
Johan

wow, that is a hot demo real wow. i am not worthy:-)
i feel like the most incapable editor at this moment.

i hate to ask this in this thread but how do you get the pan effect as if the cam was moving from room to room. and what do u use for 3d.

if you have a technic tutorial i will buy it with out thought.

and again wow!!!!! oh and thanks too.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics