Up Res to HDV ?? wow

Posted by J.Corbett 
Up Res to HDV ?? wow
October 10, 2006 01:30PM
i do 90% of my shooting on a dvx 100b. it is a dv camera it shoots in 30p wonderfully and 24p wonderfully. i am not 100% sure but i think i am getting sd quality what ever that means. i have been reading a lot of different post that suggest that i can upgrade my dv to hdv.

how does this happen? and what are the benifits other than an assumingly better image?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Up Res to HDV ?? wow
October 10, 2006 02:03PM
if you search around on the web you'll find that HDV is one of the most problematic and disliked formats around. If i were you i wouldn't touch HDV with a very long barge pole.

As for a better image - your camera is capturing at DV Resolution... by upressing to HDV you can't gain quality of image - you cant create new detail in your image that wasn't initially captured.
October 10, 2006 03:03PM
so basically your saying that there is no reason for a person to up res. are there any workflow for improving what you have captured. for instance , if i send 24p or 30p thru compressor and tell it to de-interlace the footage or ad a film filter will this be an improved look. i have a slightly hard time with believing that all of these settings that i have are not useful for helping the final out put be it web or dvd. but i could very well be wrong i am no expert by a long shot.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 10, 2006 04:31PM
If your footage is already progressive, then deinterlacing it will degrade and hurt your image badly.

The real way to improve your footage is to set up the finest quality tube television you can possibly afford, calibrate it with FCP color bars (the manual tells you how), and the use the Three Way Color Correction tool while monitoring on the TV. And please do not use the composite cable.

You can also try some "look" filters for changing the "character" of the video, like glows and tints and gradients, but this is not really for "quality" as much as " a look".

Thats it. Make it perfect BEFORE compressing for DVD. And of course you are getting "sd quality". Your camera is an SD (Standard Definition) camera.

-Christopher
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics