General Error 41!

Posted by paul kelleher 
General Error 41!
October 11, 2006 12:57PM
Getting general error 41 when I try to open new, empty project files from a friends macbook pro laptop ( mac lapp pro booktop or what ever the hell it is...) He's on vers 5.1.2. I'm on vers 5.0.2.

is this a problem or are we running into some mystical deep and secret issue?

Thanks guys

Paul
Re: General Error 41!
October 11, 2006 01:11PM
You may not be able to back up to an earlier version. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

That error is usually associated with a corrupted file or render file--or the system *thinks* it's damaged because of the version shift.

Koz
October 11, 2006 02:13PM
even just a 5.1 back to a 5.0 version?

Paul

ps thanks for answering, koz
October 11, 2006 02:15PM
...and didnt i hear there were issues w/ 5.1.2? ( ie..should i upgrade to see if I can then open his 5.1.2 project files
October 11, 2006 02:20PM
You need to be at same version as the project you are opening. FCP is not backwards compatible. That means you need 5.1

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 11, 2006 02:31PM
sorry..again..is 5.1.2 ok? or is court still out
October 11, 2006 02:34PM
Its fine. It just doesnt get along with many/some third party codecs.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 11, 2006 03:04PM
merci

paul
October 11, 2006 03:34PM
Just for the record, my sources tell me that error 41 means "Memory full (open) or file won't fit (load)". Isn't that illuminating? It could be saying that the file it's trying to open is not in the expected format, which would suggest a version incompatibility problem. But I don't understand this: "when I try to open new, empty project files from a friends macbook pro laptop". Why would you want to open a "new, empty project file" - do you mean you're starting a new project? If so, I don't see where version issues come up. Something is missing....

Scott
October 11, 2006 03:45PM
sorry for the confusion-

the in-process project i WANTED to open was giving General error 41- so to eliminate variables, I had him send me a new, no media file- still get general error 41

paul
October 11, 2006 05:32PM
We've had a few General error 41 message when a client tried to open up a project that had been created in FCP 5.1.1 on to his system that was running 5.1.2

Its annoying but the upgrade is simple enough.. problem solved.
October 13, 2006 04:21AM
Chairman Mike wrote correctly -
[You need to be at same version as the project you are opening. FCP is not backwards compatible. That means you need 5.1]

To be fair-- and I often rant about "dot-appnesia" in FCP -- the FCP team has provided a simple workaround for at least opening a project within the same major version number. I just did it so i know it works and works well.

In my case, I went from 5.0.4 at the client's online setup, up to 5.1.1 at my place to add some Boris title work after hours, and back down to 5.0.4 at the client's, all through XML, which restores project Browser, clips and timelines as though you'd used a native project file.

The goal of course should be to build a project file with enough smarts to open in any dot-release of a major version number without ceremony. Avid's been doing that and more for years.

This was yet another case where an online FCP system rented by client wasn't as current as my offline. Rental houses take their time upgrading, testing software behavior with their hardware (in this case Kona2 SDI, Medea SCSI-- a simple SD mastering solution). So they are often less current.

Stamp out Appnesia! Disrupts countless workflows.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 13, 2006 11:22AM
Hey Loren-

Thanks for replying-
I just (re) remembered that the 5.1 ....crossgrade... is a "send in your disks" and we'll send you disks back, which I am about to do, but need to open newer files ASAP
In the meantime, can you give me a lil how-to on XML in/out? I've never used it, did try it, but didnt know what I was doing and didnt make it work.

Can you help

Merci

PAul
October 13, 2006 11:34AM
Read this

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Changing the meaning of errors
October 13, 2006 06:48PM
so, In the lab I work in we recently started switching to 5.1.2 and in the course the gernal error 41 arrived

so we looked it up, it seems this error has about as solid a definition as "is" in the clinton erra.

What my research lead, was the following set of errors

genral error 41 could possibly be

Fire wire trouble, i.e. not enoughn data flowing quick enough, solutins include moving from fw 400 to 800, replacing cords, and checking hubs/busses.

Lack of memory, not enough ram to load the images solutions include, replacing ram, adding more, and checking ram for proper install.

Lack of hard drive memory to alocate render files to.

and now version difference from 5.1.1 to 5.1.2

it's all so odd
Re: Changing the meaning of errors
October 13, 2006 07:19PM
ah yes-

but if they wanted us to know...they would have had to call it Specific Error 41...
Re: Changing the meaning of errors
October 14, 2006 12:06AM
And they (Apple) could be a lot better in identifying errors than they are. It takes a only a little more effort in programming to trap the specific situation that caused an error, and it would pay off in spades for the user, but it would seem that it's not seen as worth the effort from the bean counters' point of view. And all us users suffer for that, as we try to hash out what this obscure (at best) message means in terms of what we can do about it. That goes for all of the "general errors".

I would stand by my earlier thought that error 41's explanation of "Memory full (open) or file won't fit (load)" is consistent with the idea that the program was expecting to load a file of a certain format and the one it loaded had different end points than it expected ("won't fit 'load'"winking smiley as an overflow or underflow, since a file saved under one version of FCP encountered this error when trying to open it with a (barely) lower version.

But I have to appreciate Paul's interpretation of events....

Scott
December 14, 2006 03:21AM
I hit some of these errors tonight with FCP (5.1.2), after a miserable day with DSP (4.1.1) having compile errors.

I think the cause for both was that I breeched the 90% full range for the Applications drive - as discussed earlier in these phorums. (I more fully documented my experience tonight in the DVD Studio Pro phorums).

Installing the FCP Universal Binaries discs, followed immediately by Software Update finding a ton of new versions of bug fixes, did in my Applications drive.

I probably will have more cleanup work to do tomorrow. Then I will be able to judge if the UBs were a good idea on my PowerMac G5. The Intel iMac 20 seems to be OK for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics