Sync video to alternate audio track

Posted by tMac 
Sync video to alternate audio track
October 14, 2006 09:37PM
Is it possible to sync video to an alternate audeio track?

I have a 3 minute live performance dance video track with an audio track that is pretty much un-usable. (Audio was recorded too far from the source) I also have a clean version of the audio from an existing recording. The tempos are pretty close, only off by about a second overall.

Is it possible to sync the video up to the new audio track, perhaps using the visual waveform as a guide for the beats, and using key frames?

I haven't been able to find any info on this in the archives.

Thanks!

Tim

FCP 5, 17" Powerbook, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB, OS 10.4.8
Re: Sync video to alternate audio track
October 14, 2006 10:01PM
there is realaly nothing to it. just unlink the video and audio. delete the audio track, and place the new audio in its place. if you need to you can place markers at the beat and align that with a certain dance move or something, but it would be just as easy to slip and slide it at will until you like what you see...
October 14, 2006 10:43PM
Wayne,

I'm newer at FCS. When you say slip and slide, what do you mean? Unlinking the Audio and Video and replacing the audio I've got. Perhaps a bit more detail on the proceedure for making the slip and slide.

Thanks bunches!

Tim
October 14, 2006 11:18PM
Read this FAQ document on nudging clips in the timeline.
FAQ : Nudging clips in the timeline

October 14, 2006 11:18PM
> When you say slip and slide, what do you mean?

Slip and Slide are tools. Slip preserves the location and duration of a clip entry in the timeline but allows you to shift the actual media forwards or backwards Slide moves the location of a clip and rolls the clips before and after that clip to make room.

If there's a speed offset between the audio and the video, you may need to simply edit with the bad audio, then get a ProTools engineer to correct the timing (quantizing) on the clean audio. ProTools can speed up or slow down a clip without changing its pitch. Soundtrack Pro can do it as well, but I'm not sure how well it does it. There's a free software called SoundHack that can also do it, but it compromises the quality of the sound substantially.

www.derekmok.com
October 15, 2006 11:35AM
place your video clip, with bad audio onto your timeline. select it and hit command + U to unlink the audio and video. then select the audio and delete it.

drag your good audio clip onto the audio track where the bad audio used to be.

this is where you have options. you can simply move the audio clip forward and backward on the timeline until you like the sync OR, you can add markers to the audio clip by selecting it on the timeline then playing the timeline and hitting the M key where you want to place markers. then add markers to the video clip (using same procees used for audio markers) at points where the dancers are reacting to the beat. then you can sync it by sliding the clips on the timeline using the markers for reference.

like derek says, you will probably need to modify the source audio track to have the same duration as your video clip. pro tools does this, but so does peak and a number of other less costly sound programs. soundtrack pro may do it, but im not near my office machine at the moment to verify that... the rub is going to be which one does it without negatively effecting the sound quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics