QuickTime question...

Posted by Frank Meek 
QuickTime question...
December 01, 2006 05:45PM
Gurus all,
While this does not seem to be an impediment to my editing or output, I occasionally get this message when trying, for instance, to play a QuickTime link. I assume this means I should perhaps upgrade to the 21st century version of QT, (I currently run 6.5.3). Any suggestions on a translation of this message:
"QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately it is not available on the QuickTime server."
It is quite apparent that I need some software. If so, what and wherefrom? Or, is this simply an upgrade notice? Or What?
Thanks

FE Meek
Re: QuickTime question...
December 01, 2006 06:04PM
That sounds like you are trying to play an MPEG2. Why don't you post the link in question and let's have a look?

What version of FCP are you running? Do you have DVD Studio Pro installed?

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 01, 2006 06:17PM
If it is MPEG2 (not likely, but possible), you can buy the MPEG2 playback extensions for QuickTime.

It's a lot more likely that you're trying to play a non-QuickTime file--like Windows WMV--and, since OSX tries to play everything in QuickTime, it fails.

There are ways around that, too.

Koz
December 01, 2006 06:20PM
...which is why I requested the link grinning smiley

December 01, 2006 06:54PM
Hi there,
The link in question, (the latest incident to prompt this inquiry), is the Wayne Granzin "ghost: video posted elsewhere on this current forum page, (understandinc.com). Also, no, I am not attempting to play WMV's, (with VLC and others this is actually less problematic than my issues with QT). But, considering the rather basic nature of the questions asked here at times, I understand the response.
And, again, these are not issues related to any professional use of QT or FCP, only my occasional attempted look at clips or tutorials (Ripple's latest "Shake" is one other such recent example).
I have various iterations of FCP, 3.04 on a laptop and 5.whatever on a desktop. The latter is nowhere near a wireless or wired internet source and rarely goes outside to play.
thanks.

FE Meek
December 01, 2006 07:02PM
It's the H.264 codec. Upgrade your Quicktime to 7.1.3. and it'll play that movie just fine.

- Joey

December 01, 2006 11:27PM
Thanks Joey. I appreciate the information.

FE Meek
December 02, 2006 05:48AM
<<(I currently run 6.5.3). >>>

You understand that upgrade does not happen in a vacuum. There are pages of postings from people who immediately had troubles with Final Cut when they upgraded to QT7.

Panther, QT6 and Final Cut 4x get along really, really well. Tiger, QT7, and Final Cut 5 get along really well. People who cross versions may find themselves at the Apple web site applying patches to restore FireWire connections.

[docs.info.apple.com]

Koz
December 02, 2006 11:57AM
Koz,
Thanks for the imput. I, too, have followed these machinations. My gear is currently very happy and I shall see that it stays so. There will be no cross-dressing of applications.

FE Meek
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics