Sony A1U/A1P/A1E

Posted by jusrus 
Sony A1U/A1P/A1E
December 04, 2006 07:30PM
Hey all,

Have done a search on this camera, and found nothing.

I have a job early next year that is to be shot with one of these cameras. I have read up extensively on all the issues relating to Sony's hybrid HDV, so I'm well aware of what I may or may not be getting myself into when it comes to the edit.

What I am trying to establish is the quality of the 1/3 CMOS sensor, vs the 3CCD setups I'm more used to working with.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera? Should I up the ante and ask for an FX1/Z1U? Or just go back to my beloved Canon XL2?

I'm curious to try out on of these 'HDV' cams anyway I think.

Any opinions appreciated!

Justin.
Re: Sony A1U/A1P/A1E
December 04, 2006 11:01PM
jusrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey all,
>
> Have done a search on this camera, and found
> nothing.

> Justin.

I Googled "Sony A1u" and got 143,000 hits.
December 04, 2006 11:11PM
Sorry, I searched LAFCPUG. Have of course googled, and found a wealth of stuff. I'm interested in the opinions of those on this forum that might have encountered one of these cameras.

Thanks...Justin.
December 05, 2006 11:09AM
I haven't really used it yet (only a couple hours), but we picked up the A1-U earlier this year. My wife took it to China and shot some stuff. The footage looks pretty good - the biggest caveat is the low light performance is not very good. Also be careful with fast pans.

My wife loves the camera because it's small and easy to handle. A couple years back we were shooting a doc with a Sony PD-170 and she had trouble doing hand held stuff with it. The other nice thing about the A1-U is that it has both an onboard mic and a removable external mic with xlr jacks/phantom power. Also, it has a full 1920 x 1080 CMOS sensor. Overall, it's a cool little camera.

If you can, I would use the Z1 over the A1-U just because it has the 3-CCDs and I like the layout better. I don't know the difference in quality between the A1/Z1 over the XL 2, but I've seen a huge difference between the Z1 and the Panasonic DVX-100a. The Z1's much better. The A1 gives similar image quality. I know of a DP who did some tests with it and got it close in image quality to a Varicam (he was needing to intercut the footage on a doc he was shooting).

The best would be to do some tests with the different cameras and see which one suits your needs the best. OTOH, I do think we tend to over analyze our choices, and use our analysis to justify not moving out of our comfort zone - so, unless there's just some major shortcoming, and from my experience, I doubt it, the A1-U will do the job, do it well, and it will be good experience to actually use it.

just my $.02 cents.
December 05, 2006 01:16PM
exactly, it handles low light very poorly but can easily intercut with a z-1 in good conditions, the zoom and iris controls are straight out of the consumer world so they leave much to be desired but it's size and audio capabilitys make it worthwhile. I slap a nice fat wideangle lens on it and its a great small HD-capable camera...
December 05, 2006 01:33PM
DV dot com has a good review on this cam. Lots of good info and gotchas

[www.dv.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 05, 2006 06:53PM
Thanks for your input guys. It is a day shoot, so low light won't be a problem, and from what I know, no fast motion, so that shouldn't be a problem either!

Any other opinions, feel free to shoot them through!

Cheers....Justin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics