Play in background?

Posted by flim 
Play in background?
December 21, 2006 04:54AM
Hello..

Right, so, I've scrounged around several sites this evening and found this one to be most respectable.. and knowledgable.

The amount of transcription I have to do is a total mountain compared to my easy little gopher mounds. And I need to have Final Cut running in the background while I type into Word (or the like - Neo Office is what i have). Is there a way to keep video in your browser/canvas playing in the background when you move onto/have open other applications?

Quicktime will play in the background, and it does the same in imovie, but I need time codes rather than clip length.. and I need to be able to turn off separate audio tracks on the footage (double sound recording), so essentially I need a way to do that and have a typing program open as it plays.

I'm pretty stuck at going the long way around things right now.. might result in setting up two computers side by side so i can type the thing..

thanks
Re: Play in background?
December 21, 2006 04:58AM
yeah, no bg playback.
if FCP is your playback device,
you need another computer to write into.

nick
December 21, 2006 09:03AM
Here's what you're looking for: It's called Quicktime movie notetaker.

There's a pro version coming out that will read Timecode. Not so sure about your audio needs.

[www.dvcreators.net]

Mark
December 21, 2006 10:00AM
Here's another workaround I came up with a while back.

Start a blank .txt document and save it. Open it using Final Cut Pro, as if it were an EDL.
Now you can type inside this window with the Viewer or Canvas playing at the same time; since you're not switching applications, you don't need FCP to play in the background. The only problem is that you can't save the .txt from within FCP, so you need to periodically Copy and Paste the text to the document in TextEdit or Word.

www.derekmok.com
December 21, 2006 11:33AM
Could you apply a timecode generator filter and export that?

Then just open it in quicktime and have that run while you type?
December 26, 2006 11:06AM
thanks all for the help!

I tried the .txt thing but it keeps giving me error pop-ups whenever I tried to import a .txt as an EDL. "Badly formatted EDL" ... know anything about this? Still interested in trying to get this to work..

I checked out the QT-Notetaker and will be using that for my own projects down the road. but yeah, the separated audio bit will be a problemo..

For now I had to jump on/get started and just went the two computer direction. At times I set my laptop on the floor so I can start and stop the video with my foot and not take my hands off the other computer's keyboard. Its a bit impractical but it works effeciently!

Not sure where to find the timecode generator filter.. but I think I should be okay for now..
December 26, 2006 12:57PM
> I tried the .txt thing but it keeps giving me error pop-ups whenever I tried to import a .txt as
> an EDL.

You have to open a blank .txt file. Make one in TextEdit, save it as .txt to a convenient location. In this method you're only using the .txt file in FCP has a drawing board; wipe it clean when you're done with a section and have copied the text to a file and saved.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics