An electrical power question for our friends down under

Posted by mark raudonis 
An electrical power question for our friends down under
December 30, 2006 07:18PM
I'm bringing an FCP editing system to Australia. For my power book I know that all I have to do is buy an aussie receptacle adaptor and I'm good to go. What about the g-5? Or the Cinema displays? Is it as simple as replacing the American power cord with an Aussie one? I have a step down transformer, but it would be great if I could just change the power cords and be done with it.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Mark Raudonis
Re: An electrical power question for our friends down under
December 30, 2006 10:15PM
hey, mark.

for your laptop don't get an adaptor.
they're really big & bulky, causing problems on power-boards, and they're way over-priced. (around AU$25)
all you need is a simple lead that you can get at most super markets for around AU$5

the CinemaDisplay is a power transformer, and it'll simply adapt to what get fed to it.

the G5 is similar, but may need to be switched to 220-240V on the back.

hope you managed to find some good people to work on your show.
can i ask where you will be based?

cheers,
nick
December 30, 2006 10:35PM
And feel free to call us if you've got any good job openings, Mark. winking smiley

December 30, 2006 10:38PM
Actually, how long are you going to be here? It might work out better to rent a G5 while you're here than to ship one all the way across the globe. No? You can then just take the drives back with you when you leave.

January 01, 2007 06:18PM
You won't have any problems with the G5, but you will need to flick the switch on the back.

Having said that, depending on your time frames, shipping/baggage costs etc etc, I would think you would either be better off renting for your time here if its short, or buying and selling one while you are here it is longer term.

It pays to remember that a G5 (mine at least) is a 2 man lift, with of course, little guarantee that it will be in the same condition when it lands.

And yes, let us know of any work down under winking smiley

Heh - good luck with your project.

Justin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics