Green on timeline instead of black

Posted by Mike Watson 
Green on timeline instead of black
January 23, 2007 12:33PM
This is such a "n00b" question, I'm embarrassed to ask it. I know it's come up on the forum before, but the search returns nothing (except a thousand chromakey questions). It's especially frustrating that I know it's an easy answer, but I can't figure it out.

One of my users has bright green on the timeline instead of black. I've checked her sequence settings, easy setup settings -- even created a new project, and we still get green.

What's wrong here?
Re: Green on timeline instead of black
January 23, 2007 01:26PM
Try selecting View>Background and see if it's been set to Green rather than Black.
January 23, 2007 07:08PM
That's not the problem.

I trashed prefs, it didn't work.

I created a new user, and opened FCP...still the green timeline. Why, oh why?
January 23, 2007 07:42PM
if you mean a green RENDER line above the image:

there may be some small amount of movement that;s been accidentally applied to the clips.
i;ve had that.

select the clips in the timeline,
Option Apple V to open the "remove attributes" window.
un-tick any boxes that have ticks, and hit OK.

nick
January 23, 2007 09:08PM
No, not the render line. The actual shot. Anywhere I don't fill with something is green. My slug is green. My bars are green.

I created a new user, and even with default settings everything is green.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Help.
January 23, 2007 09:36PM
Whoa! Hey Mike, next time you might want to think about resizing that screencap before you post it!

Three causes I've encountered for this problem. None of them good.

1. Your system resources are too low to handle whatever you're doing.

2. Corruption. You said you tried a new project file. Maybe you even need to re-install FCP?

3. Jude Cotter and I have talked a little about 10-bit clips occasionally having this problem. I don't think we could nail down a cause.

Before you do anything drastic, check the following.

a) What media drives are you using? Are all of them properly formatted? Do you have any drive connected to the system (whether this project is using it or not) which is filled up to beyond 90 per cent full?

b) Try putting your media into a timeline that's of lesser quality (eg. if you're working with DV NTSC, create an Offline RT timeline and put the clip in there) as a diagnostic test. See if your Canvas is still green.

c) Disconnect all your media (SHIFT-D, Leave Files on Disk), then reconnect it.

d) Make a duplicate of your project file. Now take things out of your timeline one by one. Sometimes one single corrupt file in your project file can cause everything else to go bananas.

e) Ditch all render files as well as the Waveform Cache and Thumbnail Cache. and turn off all extraneous things in your timeline. Turn off thumbnails in the timeline as well as the Browser; reduce the number of undos to 20-40. See if any of this makes a difference.

www.derekmok.com
January 23, 2007 09:38PM
Uhm....

Shane's Stock Answer #15:

Make sure the canvas or viewer are selected then go to VIEW>CHANNELS and set it to RGB. It might be set to ALPHA.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 24, 2007 03:46PM
I've had that happen before also. Never could figure out what it was. None of the suggestions offered here are it. It was always at random on an individual project - I would just have to transfer the pieces over and rebuild new project.
January 24, 2007 05:33PM
Just out of curiosity; If you export a QT does it carry along the green slate?
January 25, 2007 12:27PM
Hi,

Followed a little bit of everyone's advice, but eventually got it fixed. Hard to say what did it, as I kept deleting more media, making new users, re-installing things, gave up, and the next day came in and it worked fine.

Blame it on a gremlin.

Thanks for all your help.

-MW
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics