2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pulldown

Posted by Denny Rambo 
2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pulldown
January 25, 2007 11:09AM
Can someone confirm that FCP can ONLY remove 2:3:3:2 (advanced pulldown)
and NOT 2:3 (traditional pulldown).

And that cameras like the AG-DVX100 & AJ-SDX900 use 2:3 in "24p" mode and use 2:3:3:2 when in "24pa" mode.

So if the camera guys shot in "24pa" I can use the "remove advanced pulldown" feature in FCP to edit in a 24(23.98) timeline, but if they shot in "24p" I'm going to have to use Shake or Cinema Tools to remove it.
Re: 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pulldown
January 25, 2007 11:32AM
FCP can remove both forms of pulldown. Only advanced pulldown can be removed while digitizing. Regular pulldown has to be removed after 29.97 capture (Menu>Tools>Cinema Tools Reverse telecine).

I believe that the panny cameras can do both forms of pulldown in their 24 modes

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 25, 2007 12:16PM
Thanks didn't know those post capture tools were in there.
But I just tried the remove advanced pulldown on a clip and the resulting 23.98 file still looked like it had a "judder" frame every fourth frame.
Is this because FCP didn't know which frame to start on ?

In Shake you have to look at the footage first to determine if the 1st frame is an "AA", "BB", "BC", "CD", or "DD" frame so that it does it correctly - FCP just "did it" without any user adjustable parameters.
January 25, 2007 01:13PM
Denny
I humbly suggest you read page 125 and onward in the Cinema Tools manual. Earlier pages would help too depending on your familiarity with the issues. It will help you identify what field order and dominance your clips have so that reverse telecine works well for you. Generally though the Reverse Telecine function in FCP relies on the last setting used in Cinema Tools. Here's a quote from the CT manual...

How Much Can Be Done from Final Cut Pro?
Because of the high level of integration between Cinema Tools and Final Cut Pro, you
have several options for each workflow step. For example, do you import the telecine
log into Cinema Tools and export a batch capture list for Final Cut Pro, or do you
import the telecine log directly into Final Cut Pro? Your situation and preferred working
methods will often make this decision for you. Among the Cinema Tools?related
functions you can perform directly from Final Cut Pro are:
? Importing telecine log files
? Conforming 25 fps video to 24 fps
? Reversing the telecine (using the last settings in Cinema Tools)
? Opening a clip in the Cinema Tools Clip window
? Synchronizing a Cinema Tools database to a group of selected clips

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 25, 2007 03:19PM
Yeah - after trying it I realized that FCP wasn't actually doing it, it was automatically launching Cinema Tools in the background.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics