16 bit codec

Posted by sean_callan 
16 bit codec
February 02, 2007 03:34PM
Does aja have a 16 bit uncompressed codec?
Re: 16 bit codec
February 02, 2007 03:37PM
I don't know of any 16bit codecs for video off hand. At that level of quality, people tend to use 16bit tiffs of individual frames.

Graeme
February 04, 2007 07:25PM
My Cineon/DPX codecs read and write 16bit RGB color spaces into a 10bit format right now. These are a Film/HD file format, not just a codec. You also have advantages of loading these frames into any DI, 3D or Effects packages as well. (Not to mention film recorders.)

AJA supports 10bit RGB. They encode 10bit Linear or 10bit Log into a MOV file. It is also pretty efficient, space wise, and isn't lossy. (which is really nice!) The down side, is that it isn't as portable. DI packages won't read the files, without conversion, and film recorders won't touch them either.

What was your need for 16-bit?

bob.

Robert Monaghan
Glue Tools - Cineon & DPX QuickTime Components
www.gluetools.com
Santa Barbara, CA
February 04, 2007 11:37PM
Bob,

Is your product a Cineon reader?

I'm interested in building a digital intermediate to use with FCP [in much the same way you can for a PC with the Cineform codec], but I haven't found anything equivalent for the Mac.

I'm curious about your products.
February 05, 2007 01:25AM
Just click on the "Glue Tools" ad on this page and then click on "products." Will tell you most all you need to know.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 05, 2007 12:03PM
I was given 16 bit tifs (hd10 colorspace) as my source material . When I import it into FCP the black level is off.

sean
February 05, 2007 06:43PM
FCP versions prior to 5.1.2 add a gamma shift to imported RGB graphics. You can either upgrade to 5.1.2, which allows you to set the import gamma, or apply a gamma correction of .824 on the tiff before importing.

5.1.2 will also export without gamma shift.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics