FCP Certification

Posted by Sheryl 
FCP Certification
February 04, 2007 04:06PM
I'd like to know what is the best way to get some kind of certification to teach FCP. I'm working for a small film studio and one of us is really good at FCP. She would like to teach it at a college or film school or other venue. She's taught college classes before but not FCP.

I know that Apple has a certification program that is expensive. Can those classes be challenged for credit without paying the usual fees? Is there a better or equal program to the one Apple puts on? I live in Washington state but am a six hour drive from Seattle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sheryl
Re: FCP Certification
February 04, 2007 04:37PM
We will need to get Steve Martin in here to answer this definitively but in order to teach FCP at a Apple certified training school would require you be certified. You would need to go through the trainers program here in LA as I'm not sure they have one anywhere else on the West Coast.

To get certified to teach at a college or University is a whole different thing and that depends on the College and University requirements. I'd think it might look good to be certified to teach FCP but I highly doubt it is a requirement.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 04, 2007 05:32PM
If she want's to teach on a Apple Certified Institution or on Apple's Certified Courses she need's to be certified.
The way that i recommend is, buy a Certified Level 1 Book and read it, do the lessons and take the exam at a Apple Certified Institution. She can take this exam, 101, without going to classes.
With Level 1 the doors are open. She can choose to take the other certifications, Level 2 and Level 3 or Trainer.
When someone want's something, i guess working hard for it overcames the "Expensive and How far is that".
I'm in Lisbon, Portugal, no Apple Certified Institution, no Apple, just an IMC. Still i've worked "around the timecode" to be in New York last September (God, i miss those Pastrami Sandwich's) to get my certifications.
Teaching without a certification is possible but it makes a big diference to have one.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
February 04, 2007 06:34PM
I know that at my old film school, you need to have directed a feature to teach directing, and you need to have edited a feature to teach editing. Certification was not a requirement, I don't think. After all, many big-time editors aren't actually technicians who know the editing application inside out -- they are just great at structure, acting and story. Oftentimes their assistants know the guts of Avid/Final Cut Pro better than they do.

www.derekmok.com
February 04, 2007 07:05PM
As far as I know, only Apple issues such certification. And you can train for it in several places or at home. But you must pass a test administered by Apple or its licensees. You can more information from them:
[www.apple.com]
Good luck!

Alberto
February 05, 2007 10:09AM
To my knowledge, you have to apply first.

As part of the application process, you need to have an Apple Certified Training Center that wants to hire you. You have to have minimum requirements to apply, as far as how much experience you have, teaching experience, etc.

You cannot "test out" of the process. As a new instructor, you will be required to get instruction from the "Train the Trainers" class and then pass the required exam. There are centers in Santa Monica, Cupertino, NYC and Boston, I believe. Some others world-wide.

It's not a cheap or easy process, but you can get there if you have your ducks in a row.

There is no alternative to the Apple Program, but I would guess that while she could "teach" FCP in a college, it would not be a certified class. I, myself, let my certification lapse and was teaching FCP on tour - but then again, I have a book and a reputation for being a FCP master.

Good luck to your friend, though.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
February 05, 2007 08:49PM
Thanks very much for the information. It gives me something to contemplate

Sheryl
February 05, 2007 11:39PM
Kevin (and others),

Do you think your certification was worthwhile? i.e., the money and time spent on it? Did it open any doors to getting the "book and reputation"?
February 06, 2007 02:09AM
hi Mike

I think that would depend on your goal. I don't have Apple certification, as either a user or a trainer, but yet I have a good job as an editor and I eat and live well. I teach FCP as and when the occasion arises, and have done so for tv stations and at tertiary institutions in both Europe and Aisa. I can't offer Apple certified training but I can offer training that would prepare someone suficiently to sit an Apple certified FCP exam. Has my lack of official Apple qualification's hindered this in any way? Not at all. Would it have helped? Who knows, although it is certain it wouldn't have harmed.

as for the book and reputation ... surely you know you're only as good as your last post hot smiley
cheers
Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics