1,5 TB GRaid Problem

Posted by ClayC 
1,5 TB GRaid Problem
March 15, 2007 02:18PM
Can anyone tell me why my GRaid2 500GB drive runs at about 80MB/s (off of a FW800 3 Port Card), and a brand new 1,5 TB runs at only 19 MB/s? Both drives are not partitioned, formatted Mac OS Extended (not journaled).

I also have a client's 1TB GRaid and it won't do better than 45MB/s. What gives?

The speed test numbers (disk read) are from the Blackmagic Disk Speed utility.

Clay

(Dual 2.5 G5, 4,5GB Ram, Blackmagic HD Plus, no other devices i.e. decks or cameras currently connected)
Re: 1,5 TB GRaid Problem
March 15, 2007 02:54PM
There is an issue with the new G-RAID 2 drives. When you have more than one connected, speed drops into the teens. Try it by itself and see what happens. A leader at the Creative Cow found this out. Older G-Raids don't have this issue.

Also...empty you can get 80MB/s transfer speed, but at about 60-80% full, it drops to about 45%.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 15, 2007 03:49PM
Hi Shane,

yes, I tried the 1,5TB on it's own after a complete shutdown. Same deal, no change. The drive is only about 20% full and running at 19MB/s.

Meantime, I've written to support to learn what they say about it. If the response is helpful, I'll post it here.

Clay
March 17, 2007 03:42AM
Shane,

So here's the gist of the support response: G-Tech says that drives of over 1TB need to be partioned into chunks of under 1 TB to maintain proper speeds. They further say that the issue is a bug in OSX whereby the Mac doesn't recognize the larger drives properly on the FW bus. The bug has been reported but yet to be repaired.

Being mid-project, I haven't had the chance to try this out yet, but will in the next few days. Meantime, G Raid2 users be informed. There is a known issue with the 1TB and larger drives and Mac OSX.

Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics