Kozikowski ? re: audio advice

Posted by newptfot 
Kozikowski ? re: audio advice
May 10, 2007 03:00PM
"That's the worst one. I have a note in to someone who's making "anti-distortion" software, but it's not intended to repair clipping--and it only runs on PCs. "

Koz, you seem very knowledgeable on sound, I have a project that came out of a mixing board, 50% OK, the rest was alittle raspie (hot) over modulated. I have never had much luck with my XL-2 probably just me, do you know somebody in Orange County that might help, sound track pro etc.?

Rick
Re: Kozikowski ? re: audio advice
May 10, 2007 03:56PM
<<<Koz, you seem very knowledgeable on sound>>>

WHAT? [cupping fingers around ears] SPEAK UP YOUNG FELLER!

<<<do you know somebody in Orange County that might help,>>>

I know two people behind the Orange Curtain. One I used to roller skate with and I think he's a Systems Analyst and the other is my travel agent.

That's it.

<<<I have a project that came out of a mixing board, 50% OK, the rest was alittle raspie (hot) over modulated.>>>

50% on the meters is actually something like 20 dB down which is considerable (sound electrically doubles or halves every 6) , but not necessary deadly. The raspy parts may be a lot more amusing. There are no reasonable software packages that can help with digital clipping.

There was one poster on here who let me mess with his badly destroyed tracks. With a lot of work and a good touch with the software, I can bring up low levels, but overloading and clipping is pretty final. I whipped through all the software packages (that I could afford or already owned) and although I can change the distortion, I could never make it any better.

Clipping also has other interesting affects. "Distortion Sounds Loud" (Richard Friedel, Fox Television) One good way to make an audio amplifier suddenly become more popular without making it any better is to add distortion. So clipped vocals suddenly sound louder (to your ears) than everybody else in the performance.

Any trouble picking out the Fuzz Guitar from the rest of the band?

Then, there is the "coming and going" nature of clipping. If the whole track was distorted, you might be able to accept it. You can listen to AM radio for a long time and not realize that it's intensely distorted on purpose. But if you started out life listening to a good, clear FM station that periodically switched to AM, you would notice that instantly.

Do the tracks stay raspy if you plain reduced the track volume on the timeline? Clipping is a magic thing and sometimes you can rescue a slightly damaged track that way.

Have you tried to bring up the low tracks by yourself yet? Are the low performers in the same track at the same time as the high ones?

There are some pretty good compressors in Final Cut and Soundtrack and again, if the damage isn't too bad, may help.

Another unfortunate rule of thumb is that by the time you decide you need rescuing, it's too late.

Sorry. Anybody else jump in? Somebody who lives down there?

Koz
May 10, 2007 04:59PM
Hi Rick.

People down here (OC)who have lots of experience working with FCP audio are.

(1) Post Modern Edit - Irvine
(2) Stewart Sound - Santa Ana
(3) Lyon Studios - Newport Beach

People who aren't on Macs, but who might be able lto help are.

(4) Chuck Everts Sound - Laguna Niguel
(5) Creative Media Recording - Cypress

(6) Other OC studios - listed at www.ocstudios.info.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
May 10, 2007 07:28PM
Thank You all for the imput, I hate audio!

Travis by coincedence I was just at Post Modern for a replication order for a client, I will make a few calls.

Rick
May 10, 2007 07:40PM
"Do the tracks stay raspy if you plain reduced the track volume on the timeline? Clipping is a magic thing and sometimes you can rescue a slightly damaged track that way".

The audio is really only marginal when the two singers sing louder, the lower level songs and speaking parts between songs are fine. Lucky for me the visual part is great haha. I will try a few of your suggestions Koz. I've come to one conclusion people don't want to pay or understand all the trouble with audio. JMO

Thanks again Rick
May 10, 2007 08:39PM
<<<I've come to one conclusion people don't want to pay or understand all the trouble with audio. >>>

Been like that for years.

My favorite illustration of audio problems and theatrical impact is one YouTube selection I've since lost:

Somebody went to a lot of trouble to duplicate a well known television show set. It was remarkable how close they got given that they were doing it with floor-sweepings and stuff they got from odd places and overstock stores. The visual presentation was really good and went right up until the actor opened his mouth.

They were using the little mic on top of the camera (audio takes care of itself, right?) and the sound snapped you right back to the muffled, echo-y third bedroom where the whole thing was staged. Totally destroyed the work.

I had to lie down for a minute.

You're shooting a radio show. You're shooting a radio show. You're shoo......

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics