FCP 6 install
May 28, 2007 02:45PM
I'm installing FCP 6 to my MacBook Pro 2 Core Duo - lots of room and I'm putting all the template and sound files to an external hard drive.

I'm 10% into the install when the installer dialogue box pops up and tells me to "insert audio content 1 to continue installation".

Problem is that the installer doesn't eject the installer disc. I've tried installing twice with the same problem. First time I just quit the installer.

Any tricks to getting the installer to eject?

Jamie
Re: FCP 6 install
May 28, 2007 02:57PM
I had the same symptom while I was installing... I decided to wait it out, and about 15 minutes later, the disc ejected - this happened about three times while I was installing - It seemed to be even longer between "Audio Content 1" and "Content 2".

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
May 28, 2007 03:47PM
i had a similar problem with dvd studio in the last version. apple sent me a new disc, and the wait went from nearly 2 hours down to like 20 min...
May 28, 2007 03:54PM
Thanks guys.

I've been waiting over an hour and bupkis. I suspect a faulty install file.

Apple is closed today but I'll call them tomorrow.

It's like coitis interruptus.
May 28, 2007 05:31PM
Why not call them before the knock off today. Then leave the install process on over night. If when you get up in the morning it has installed, then at least you have a working system until the replacement disk arrives.

Should be getting my upgrade tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave
May 28, 2007 05:36PM
Dave:

It has actually started to install. Waited an hour and a half after the install for the first disc to finally spit out. After the audio content 1, waited another hour for it to spit out and accept audio 2.

Since the audio files, it'd been rather smooth. I have another two hours to go before it's finished.

Jamie
May 28, 2007 07:58PM
Apple has a applecare doc about this issue.

[docs.info.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 28, 2007 08:21PM

Solution

It's normal for the progress indicator to sometimes seem to pause for several minutes during installation. This is no cause for concern.

"no cause for concern" - HA! thats priceless! no concern aside from that fact that a process that should take 30 min or so now takes several hours - : )
May 28, 2007 08:32PM
Yeah, but when it's finally installed, the pain goes away fast.

It took me 6 hours to install, but I'm home free.

Opened up Color through the Matrox MXO to my 23" display. Yowsa, Steve Martin, let's get that Color tutorial online!

BTW, Apple spared no expense on the application box. Thing of beauty. And I'll use the black foam packing rectangles as yoga supports too.

Jamie
May 28, 2007 09:36PM
apple really needs to get their heads out of their butts here. it is absolutely INSANE that a single suite of apps should take this long to install.

it doesnt take that long to reformat and reinstall ALL of my other apps COMBINED

- unacceptable
May 28, 2007 10:25PM
This is not the case on most installs

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 28, 2007 10:39PM
happens on enough to justify a doc about it. speaks to quality control issues in my opinion...
May 29, 2007 12:57AM
I find myself in one of those rare times defending Apple, I believe it has something to do with the drivers and model of superdrive you have.

I have two optical drives, a Pioneer DVR-111D and I don't remember the other model that originally came with the system. But whichever it was it was dog slow and reading some install disks.

I complained to Apple and they replaced it with a second 111D with AB09 firmware and it solved the problem.

I installed most of FCS2 in a little over an hour, I have not installed all of the audio yet.
June 05, 2007 02:25PM
Any update on how to avoid this?

I did visit the tremendously helpful Apple article, that these absurdly long pauses are normal.

I have three installs to do, and don't look forward to bringing the whole operation to a halt for each one.
June 05, 2007 02:35PM
FWIW, I've heard that the biggest delays are with the Soundtrack file upgrades....

Jamie
May 25, 2008 08:30PM
So I have a message telling me to 'Please insert the audio content 2 disc to continue installation' but it won't eject audio content 1. Tried disk utility but that won't eject saying that the disc is in use. Guess I'll go to bed and see if it has done by morning.

OK... seems if I quit the installer, but leave it at the cancel/continue dialog box, I can then eject the dvd via disk utility and return to the installer and continue. Only 64 hours to go, allegedly. Hmmm.

A little while later.... now stuck with Audio Content 3 disc in machine, asking for DVDSP disc to continue. Previous trick didn't work (i.e. can't eject with Disk Utility having paused install).

Call to apple support.... this is a known problem with audio content dvds... had to force quit installer, relaunch MBP to eject audio content disc... advised to reinstall core app with no content then use individual installers on dvds to install content afterwards... Here goes...
May 26, 2008 01:29PM
BTW...installing the APPS does not take hours...it takes minutes. They are all on the same disk. It's the CONTENT that takes hours to install.

Just for S & G's...did you have your MBP plugged in when you were installing? It should be plugged in with a constant stream of full power during all installs / updates. You should get a warning box when you are doing this and you are not plugged in. Could be contributing to the ejection glitch.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics