Audio stutters in log and capture window?

Posted by Dom Stevenson 
Audio stutters in log and capture window?
June 06, 2007 09:36AM
Every so often my audio stutters while playing through the log and capture window while i'm going through the rushes batch capturing. The only way i've worked out how to stop this is to shut and reopen the log and capture window which means i have to reset the reel name and tick the preview box. No big deal, but why does this happen, and is there another way to refresh the window without closing and reopening it?
Re: Audio stutters in log and capture window?
June 06, 2007 10:26AM
Try setting your Canvas window to Fit to Window or smaller and THEN open the L&C window and capture. See if that helps. Trash your preferences first, and reset your Capture and Sequence settings.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 06, 2007 11:50AM
The fact that you're listening to it in Final Cut may be causing the problem. Final Cut defaults to capturing silently in order to avoid stuttering sound.

The Universal Advice is to listen on the playback device, not Final Cut during capture.

Koz
June 06, 2007 11:59AM
Ah. Good one Koz. I assumed equipment is set up properly.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 06, 2007 02:01PM
The poster never said he was getting stuttering sound after the capture and he couldn't be getting them listening to the device. So he must be running Final Cut in a non-recommended manner.

And if he doesn't stop, we're all going to go over there and smack him.

Koz
June 06, 2007 07:23PM
Mike, the canvas is always set to fit to window. The audio plays back fine after capture but stutters periodically while i'm in the L&c window, which means i can't hear what is being said at the batch capture stage which is annoying since i only need to capture a fraction of what i'm (not)hearing.
Not sure what this other bloke (Kozikowski) is on about? but i don't recall anyone ever threatening to "smack" me online before.
It's funny how the biceps/ego's of cretins expand when they're sitting in front of a computer.
I have not trashed the prefs on my workplace mac lately so i'll give that a go first thing tomorrow morning.
Thanks for your help.
Dom
June 06, 2007 07:29PM
Settle Dom, Koz was kidding. How are you monitoring your audio is what we need to know? If its via speakers attached to your computer , there is your problem.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 06, 2007 08:25PM
<<<biceps/ego's of cretins expand when they're sitting in front of a computer. >>>

My keyboard's bigger than your keyboard.

Koz
June 07, 2007 03:48AM
Apologies to Koz!
This morning i'm paying the price for weekday bingeing, and there's not a Bloody Mary in sight.
I really must stop going on this forum after boozy England football games (3-0 at Estonia).

I'm monitoring this audio through a Yamaha amp and there is a Blackmagic extreme card in this mac pro if that helps.
As i said in my first post, this is a problem that i can live with, but it would be better to get to the bottom of it.
BTW, if i trash my prefs will i lose the cool (and very useful) multicoloured buttons i've brightened up the FCP interface with?
June 07, 2007 10:16AM
What are the speakers hooked up too? A deck?

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 07, 2007 11:38AM
<<<Apologies to Koz! >>>

No, no. Don't do that. You have to wait until I finish the comedy bit.

Do you understand where we're going with this? If Final Cut is producing the sound for your monitoring, then that could be trouble.

Now....we have an Io and and Kona2, and I don't think they have timing or sound problems. Our local speakers come from that, not the Mac. They produce all their work divorced from Final Cut. They have their own electronics.

I gotta look.

Koz
June 07, 2007 08:08PM
I looked.

We pulled in a bunch of stuff from DigiBeta this afternoon and the Mac speakers dropped dead immediately (like they're supposed to), but the little continuity speaker connected to the Io kept working perfectly.

So you get to trace the wires under the desk and figure out where the sound is actually coming from.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics