HDV 1080i60 Export Produces QTs with Jitter

Posted by jennys 
HDV 1080i60 Export Produces QTs with Jitter
June 06, 2007 05:17PM
Hello and thanks for any help:

I am working in HDV 1080i60 all the way from camera (Canon XL-H1) through FCP to QuickTime export from FCP. When I Export using QuickTime or Export using QuickTime Conversion, I notice jitters (images stick and then skip frames) in the final 1080i60 QuickTime. This has happened across several projects with different clips.

I can successfully Export using Compressor, which the Apple techs say is the superior way but which I've seen conflicting things about on the forums. (Would love thoughts on this, too.)

I experience the same jitter when I Export using QuickTime Conversion to H.264, DV NTSC 48kHz, etc.

Oddly, I can export the same FCP projects on an older G5 (perhaps it was a 1 gig processor?) with the same FCP and QuickTime versions and the final QuickTimes have no jitter.

Here is my current setup:
Power Mac G5
Dual 2.3 GHz processor
2.5 GB DDr2 SDRAM
OS X 10.4.9
FCP 5.1.4
QuickTime 7.1.6
LaCie 500 gb D2 Extreme using Firewire 800 (but I have the same problem whether I export to these external drives or to the internal drive)

I have tried everything I know, including a complete erase and reinstall of my operating system and all applications, including FCP and QuickTime. The problem still exists.

Would sincerely appreciate any ideas. I've called Apple to see if this is an FCP 5 thing that the new Studio 2 might fix, but they can't tell me.
Re: HDV 1080i60 Export Produces QTs with Jitter
June 06, 2007 07:22PM
I don't have an answer, but I found for me the best looking was to export a self contained movie in HDV and then use compressor to do the conversion to the end result I wanted, dv ntsc or whatever. One thing you didn't say is if you are using an external monitor through a blackmagic card or aja or your computer monitor for viewing. That can make diference on how it will show quicktime videos.

Kevin
June 06, 2007 07:40PM
Hi Kevin;

Thanks for your reply!

I am exporting a self-contained movie from FCP (final product: HDV 1080i60), and it's right there at that initial export that I have the problem. Directly from my FCP project, Export using QuickTime and Export using QuickTime Conversion both give me jitters in the resulting QuickTimes. Only Export using Compressor gives me a jitter-free QuickTime. So I believe I'm already doing what you suggest but please correct me if I am misunderstanding you.

I am using my computer monitor for viewing. I've watched these exported QuickTimes on other computers and they still have the jitter, so it seems to be something within the QuickTime itself and not how I'm viewing it on the computer monitor.

Thanks!

Jen
June 07, 2007 06:13PM
Can you put a small sample of jitter on a server somewhere so we can grab it and look? There are just so many video errors that can be called "jitter." Do a QuickTime Conversion.

Koz
June 07, 2007 06:19PM
Thanks, Koz, for the great idea.

I don't have immediate access to a server but will ask around and then let you know as soon as I get it up - hopefully in a day or two.

Thanks again,

Jen
June 13, 2007 12:26PM
Sorry - took me longer than I thought to find a server to put this on.

Please try this URL:

[studentweb.montana.edu]

I captured a bit on either side of the "jitter" portion - the jitter is right where the close up of the flowers starts. It's a pretty good example of the sort of random jitter that I've seen in virtually every film project I've worked on with HDV 1080i60 and this computer.

If you're wondering, this is a film about bears for Yellowstone National Park. You can see the non-jitter version (the version I ended up exporting on that slower computer I mentioned in my first message) at: [www.nps.gov]

Thanks!

Jen
June 23, 2007 08:54PM
Sorry about going off the subject....... but I assumed if you had ?'s about exporting, that you might be able to help me get my HD footy on FCP5.

How do I capture HDV 24f (Canon XH A1) without down converting to SD. My IMovie HD can capture my HD footage, so I figured FCP would have no problem doing it.
I can dwn-convert it, but then why would I even shoot in HD if it's going to be captured in SD.

I know I'm doing something wrong....I've edited HD footage captured on someone else's hard drive though.
When I try to capture, I either get an error message stating unable to locate timecode or WAITING FOR DATA FROM DEVICE. That's with an easy set-up for HD 1080 60i.

I've searched the CAFE LA forum and the FAQ forums....nothing.

Please Help !
Pretty Please with Cherries on top !!!
June 23, 2007 09:26PM
CHR12G,

If you want to change the topic, start a new thread. You won't get nearly as many hits on this thread as it's not the same topic.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 24, 2007 02:56AM
will do.....Thank you.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics