recording voice over

Posted by bart 
recording voice over
July 11, 2007 01:23PM
A producer is asking to record a VO from FCP which is something I have not done.
Is there a tutorial for this? We're working in 6.0 on an Intel Mac.
Re: recording voice over
July 11, 2007 01:52PM
Hi Bart

You'll find that Apple in their infinate wisdom put all of FCP's features in this wonderful thing called the manual...

This particular one is at Chapter 7: III-137 "Using the Voice Over Tool"

You can find many other useful things in these amazing pieces of bound paper or menu>help file.

You will need a microphone hooked up via phantom power and a line level input to your mac if its a MacPro or you can use the built in microphone on iMacs or MacBookPro to record a rough VO.

Ben

PS yes I can be sarcastic - but you seriously need to read the manual if you are doing editing professionally on any piece of software...

Have fun!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 11, 2007 02:06PM
Sarcasm is fine, as long as the answer is helpful.
it's good to know the FCP manual is accurate as so many of them truly suck.
I had actually tried the manual, but only found capturing audio in chapter 18.
Ken Stone had a good one for FCP3.
July 11, 2007 02:12PM
This will help you get started. Its a bit dated but essentially all is same

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 11, 2007 02:25PM
LOL sorry Bart - you just got the end of a long debate I had on "Avid editors who don't bother to learn properly before whinging" but as long as you got it working!

Give us a shout if there is anything you don't understand or that doesn't work correctly.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 11, 2007 03:00PM
One device whichis perfect for VO Tool recording: the external iSight. The mike is quite nice, and is rceognized immediately within the VO Tool. I love it for emergency ADR or scratch narration.

- Loren
Today's FCP 6 keytip:
Set Video Only In and Out with Control I or O !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 11, 2007 03:24PM
Just because I haven't thrown mud in the game in a long time--or whinged (I whinge, you whinge, he, she it....)

A classic problem is walking up to a Mac with a Conventional Microphone. Even if you manage to get the connectors to match (and it's not that hard) there is still the matter of the 1000 to 1 difference between the level the microphone is providing and what the Mac is expecting.

The last time we did a live shoot, I slid a nice microphone mixer between the mic and the PowerBook (in this case). The mixer made up the difference in levels. It worked perfectly. We got an excellent track.

Even if the audio input on a Mac provided power suitable to run a powered microphone (it doesn't), there is still the matter of the mismatched levels.

So what's the current wisdom? I don't count. I design audio equipment and match audio levels twice each day before going to bed, but what does average Joseph Von Editor (sorry Joey) do in that case?

As a sideways slide, has anybody used any of the USB micrphones, and/or, has anyone used a headset mounted short boom microphone for sound work? A combination--USB Headset?

Nobody brought up the iMic yet. Let's keep it that way.

Koz
July 11, 2007 04:59PM
"...Updated for the latest hardware, iMic provides the perfect solution for almost any audio need, including podcasting, GarageBand, iMovie and Final Cut Pro. It lets you connect practically any microphone or sound input device to your iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac or other Mac or PC systems with a USB port. "

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 11, 2007 05:33PM
But seriously....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MW10-10Input-USB-Mixing-Studio?sku=630204

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 12, 2007 12:07AM
Koz,

"has anybody used any of the USB micrphones"?
Are you serious?

There's been plenty of posts about sucessfull users of USB mics.

We've got several of these: (Blue: "Snowball USB mic"winking smiley

[www.bluemic.com]

They're not cheap, but they work great for temp or even "serious" vo work.

Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics