Edit mixed formats using muticlip?

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
Edit mixed formats using muticlip?
July 16, 2007 02:33PM
Shot a performance with 3 cams, 2 DVCAM, 1 HDV.

Can I capture the HDV as HDV and somehow use it with the 2 DVCAMs, w/out first downconverting to DV? Want to try to use multiclip, which I haven't tried yet, and would love to preserve flexibility with HDV in case I want to use one part of the frame over another, or add zooms, whatever.

Thanks for answers, thoughts, tips, anything.
Re: Edit mixed formats using muticlip?
July 16, 2007 03:32PM
What version of FCP are you working with? If you're using anything below 6, I dont recommend it. Multicam will def not accept diff format sizes and besides, you dont really want to mix the formats in your sequence anyway as the renders will kill you. FCP 6 and the open format timeline will make that easier but i dont know if multiclip will allow it, i havent had any multi-format multi-cam shoots since i upgraded...

One idea is to capture as downrezed DV, do your multicam, flatten your multicam so its just individual clips and then recapture later as HDV and do all the tricks you want with the larger frame size then. At least your editing will be faster then...
July 16, 2007 03:33PM
I just ran into this issue today. To use multiclip (in V6 at least) your sources have to be the same frame size. I was trying to multiclip some DVCProHD and DV (hidden/helmet cam) footage. No go.

Depending on your delivery format and how much hassle it is to get the HDV into your system, I would say you should decide which is more important, being able to cut multicam or do the zooms and PIPs you're thinking about.

I would go with the multicam and cut the 3 angles of performance in DV and if you need to zoom in on a shot, recapture that chunk in HDV.

Regardless of those choices, aesthetic issues remain w.r.t. cutting between your HDV and DV footage. Was one of them your main angle?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
July 16, 2007 03:47PM
Thanks guys. Got FCP 5.1.4, need to upgrade to 6, I guess.

So what I'm getting is capture all into dv, edit in multi-cam and then recapture as needed if I don't like/want to improve the shot. Main angle was DVCAM, one of the side cams was HDV, and yeah, I know I'll need to try to balance as best I can. Don't know what "w.r.t." means.
July 16, 2007 04:10PM
I think thats the way to go Jeff. If you don't have tons of HDV you could always capture once at HDV and downconvert to DV for the multiclips. You would have two copies of that media one for the multi and the other at HDV for when you want to mess around with blow ups and the like.

w.r.t.= with respect to, i.e. pertaining to specifically. In the manner in which I used it, the phrase and it's abbreviation acts to seperate your aesthetic issues like fonts, filters, editing style and choice of sock colour from those aesthetic issues specifically related to your shooting formats.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics