titles

Posted by TroyChristian 
titles
July 20, 2007 02:38PM
Trying to lay opening titles into my project DVCPro HD 720p 59.54. Every program I try (LiveType, Motion, CGM text, Boris, FCP) leaves me with horrible aliasing. Even with blur and the usual tricks applied. I must be missing a setting somewhere. Should i be using an animation codec instead of trying to match the sequence settings?

Or should I be using another program altogether? Any suggestions?

In the mean tme I wil scour the FAQ for an exhisting answer....

Troy Christian

G5 Quad, 8GB RAM, FCP HD Suite 2 6.0.5, OSX 10.5.6
AJA LHe card
Re: titles
July 20, 2007 02:47PM
Posted the question BEFORE you looked in the FAQ? Duuuuude...

Are you judging this on the COMPUTER monitor, or external HD monitor? Because you can never (how many times do I say this?) ever trust what your computer monitors are showing. You can set the Canvas or Viewer to 100%, and then look, as that gives you a better quality image, but FCP LOWERS the resolution of video so that it will play back smoother.

Using the animation codec won't help, for when you drop it into the DVCPRO HD sequence, you'll need to render, and it will then be DVCPRO HD again.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 20, 2007 02:54PM
should've said CONTINUE to scour .... I always look first but figured after not finding on several searches I would multi task. in a bit of a hurry...

Plus it seems like an easy obvious step that I am missing ... kind of a duh!!! oh yeah ...

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
July 20, 2007 04:09PM
Titles should always be uncompressed, IMHO. I personally don't use any other programs besides After Effects / Illustrator / Photoshop for titles and if I need to render a title animation clip with alpha: Animation Codec / Best Quality / Millions of Colors + / Straight Alpha (Unmatted).

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2007 04:11PM
I used to use AE, but have recently switched to MOTION and export out as DVCPRO HD...and they look great.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 20, 2007 04:11PM
Very simple fade in and out.

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
July 20, 2007 04:50PM
I tried motion as well. Same issues ...
The titles look significantly better on my external HD monitor but I still see some jaggies ... too msny to use as opening titles. The font is very bold (on purpose) but it is italicized a bit...

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
July 20, 2007 04:54PM
DVCPRO HD is a compressed form of HD...you will see SOME jaggies. But they are MUCH less prominent than DV..

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 20, 2007 05:13PM
Is there an alternate way to get pristine titles? Print to tape (D5) using another system altogether? Someone mentioned to me a DS (??) ....
July 20, 2007 09:49PM
I use Boris Tilte3D for basic titles.

Your next step is to determine f the font is Type 1 Postscript, a two-part font kit-- and maybe all you're getting is the screen bitmap part--- or if it's TrueType or OpenType, which shouldn't give jaggy issues. FontBook will hlp identify the format.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
July 20, 2007 10:20PM
It is TrueType
July 21, 2007 05:29AM
Hi everyone -- I've seen this thread a dozen times, but no one seems to have an answer to the question -

Why do LiveType title look cruddy --

I've put them out uncompressed -- animation codec -- a dozen different ways - and yes they look lousy on an NTSC monitor - less lousy in animation codec - but not as perfect as they should -- and this is on a monitor - not the computer screen.

IS there a way to get better output from Live Type - the answer "I always use After Effects" basically throws up your hands and says LiveType is useless - which it is not -- it's a fast easy way to get great looking animated "editable" titles within Final Cut.

SO -- gurus of the world -- does anyone have an ideas to get rid of Jaggies in LiveType without saying use something else? Thanks Andy
July 21, 2007 07:01PM
From a Design / aesthetic quality standpoint, LiveType IS useless (for Broadcast work, anyway). Animations are canned & recognizable as cheap. Output looks sub-broadcast quality. I see LiveType stuff on-air (SD) & cringe every time. I can't imagine how bad it looks in HD.

It seems to be geared more towards off air (corporate / social event / web video) work.

...my 2¢

Joey

July 21, 2007 07:15PM
Here is the work around that I used for the issue.

Remade all titles in Motion.
Increased bit depth to 16 bit.
Exported.mov in animation codec
Dragged into FCP
Exported my DVCPro HD sequnce with compression set to "none"

Beautiful result. Humongous file size.

As the Eagles said " I can't tell you why..."

...but after a long day of settings here settings there everywhere a setting setting .... this worked so I will take it and run!

Troy

Troy
July 22, 2007 06:22AM
Joe,

Not sure why you often offer criticism rather than constructive answers.

This thread's question is not what suits your aesthetic tates but how to squeeze the best resolution quality out of the program.

As for amateurish canned easily recognizable animations - they are just as easily accomplished in After Effects - or any program at the hand of an editor who uses them "as is" Live Type is a capable program with it's pre-sets easily altered if you take time to learn the program..

Troy's work around sounds like it produces the results he wanted but with a large file size

With all the experts and folks from Apple, which designed live type, reading this - it's baffling that there isn't a logical answer to the quality question. Andy
July 22, 2007 06:30PM
Sorry for my overly opinionated (and that's what it was...an opinion) post andy. No offense meant... I just don't see using After Effects as "throwing my hands up". It's a fact there is much more detailed control over text parameters & quality in AE as it is a resolution independent app (now in CS3, there's individual animatable characters in 3D).

Troy seemed to have used my "constructive" suggestion (4th post) of exporting using the Animation codec so using that portion of the post went well for him.

As for AE canned animations...you are absolutely correct. That's why I don't use those either smiling smiley

Peace!

Joey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics