The saga continues - need export / transfer help

Posted by TroyChristian 
The saga continues - need export / transfer help
July 24, 2007 09:55PM
So, I am at the post house with my film. DVCPro HD 720p 60.
I have opened another can of worms.
I did several tests to make sure I got the best export to take to the post house. I did an export DVCPro HD with compression set to "DVCPro HD 720p 60".
I also exported at DVCPro HD with compression set to "none".,
"None" looked a lot better. especially in the area of titles and graphics wher jaggies show up etc.

The files are much bigger obviously, but the picture is incredible.

We have dropped my HUGE exports onto their xserve (fiber optic) and we can see the image on the monitor but it won't play thru. They use a Kona 2 to output to deck. Therefore we can't get it to tape (D5). We can play it with compression set to DVCPro HD but the image is compromised. Blacks are elevated, jaggies become evident.

Are we missing something? How do I keep the best mage and get this thing out??

On the clock, please send help!

Thanks!

Troy Christian

G5 Quad, 8GB RAM, FCP HD Suite 2 6.0.5, OSX 10.5.6
AJA LHe card
Re: The saga continues - need export / transfer help
July 24, 2007 10:02PM
Troy,

There's nothing wrong with your files. If they are running an XServe RAID with fiber, there is no reason why you can't pump that out as Uncompressed HD 8-Bit. They will just have to render it.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 24, 2007 10:11PM
The system isn't liking any of our choices Joe....

We have dropped it into a FCP timeline setting match mine DVCPro HD 720p 60
Compresson none. No render needed. Won't play. Still only. In order to output we have to use Knoa and have tried the diiferent settings. It won't play wih none as the compression type. All other types degrade the image to differeen't levels.

I am confused, man .. and the image looked so good @ NONE!!!! Am I going to have to lose out on that?

Troy
July 24, 2007 10:59PM
Okay, so we tried the AJA Kona 2 easy setup for DVCPRO HD 8 bit uncompressed (as you suggested Joe - I think anyway) This is not the way we had tried to get there before. It gave us a setting of "HDTV 720p" with compression of "8 bit uncrompressed". This looks good - the best so far as compared to "none". I hse never used a setting for HDTV before ... is this copacetic?It came from the Kone easy setup so I assume it is. And it looks good. Any thoughts on that?
July 24, 2007 11:14PM
I have my VIDEO OUT set as Kona LH DVCPRO HD 720p 59.94 8-bit.

What are you outputting to?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 24, 2007 11:31PM
Trying to play out to D5 deck. Let me check their output settings...
July 26, 2007 03:58AM
FWIW it's a bad idea to be exporting out to "None" codec. It's not supported in real time by FCP (as you discovered) and it's also RGB (rather than YUV) so you'd be putting the image through two more colour conversions for no reason. ProRes or uncompressed is the way to go.

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
July 26, 2007 04:27AM
Did learn that it is not supported in real time FCP ... did NOT know it was RGB ... DId figure out in my case that AJA Kona 720p 60 8-bit uncompressed would have been the right choice from the get go ....

...always learning...

Thank you for the input.

Troy Christian

G5 Quad, 8GB RAM, FCP HD Suite 2 6.0.5, OSX 10.5.6
AJA LHe card
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics