P2 Footage will play but won't Ingest to FCP 5.1.4

Posted by shiftb 
P2 Footage will play but won't Ingest to FCP 5.1.4
August 17, 2007 05:58PM
We're shooting on the HVX-200 in 24Native. Our Editor is working on FCP 5.1.4. One of our clips (13 minutes long) will play in his FCP Preview, he can watch and hear the entire clip and it plays fine, but it won't ingest into FCP. Out of all our clips for a feature so far, this is the first one to have this problem. The P2 assistant says that the clip never had a damaged clip "X" of either red or blue color. He even tried to place the clip back on the P2 card and bring it into the camera to repair, but the camera still thinks the clip is fine and won't repair it. To further complicate things, the P2 assistant who is on a PC system, can't even watch the clip on his system, it displays a grey screen with no sound.

So we are stuck with a clip that plays (in FCP preview) but that we can't ingest into FCP. Has anyone ever seen this before? If I can't repair the clip, as a last ditch effort I do have the program snapz pro on my computer, but I am pretty sure I'd loose quality in that process. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ty
Re: P2 Footage will play but won't Ingest to FCP 5.1.4
August 17, 2007 06:09PM
What happens when you try? What error do you get?

YOu can try a couple things:

[www.dvfilm.com]

[www.imagineproducts.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 17, 2007 06:34PM
When the editor tries to add the clip to the import queue it gives him under the status column a red sign with an exclamation mark. When he clicks on that it says "error unknown".
August 17, 2007 06:37PM
Would upgrading to FCP 6 help?
August 17, 2007 06:38PM
In the window where you see all the clips...upper left of that has a SPROCKET drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN.

Now try importing.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 17, 2007 07:08PM
Didn't work unfortunately, the editor's gonna try a couple of the other options in that menu. He thinks renaming it might help... I'll reply back if we have any success... Otherwise I'm still open to suggestions if anybody has an idea
August 18, 2007 01:56PM
SnapzPro is cool and you can change the codec to anything supported in QuickTime upon Save, but really you're limited to the screen resolution you're capturing (72-96 ppi), so it's probably no good unless you can capture full screen and scale it down for sharpness, and that Preview window is not big.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 18, 2007 03:46PM
Hello,
I shot a film back in April and the same thing happened to me. What I ended up having to do was buy P2 Log pro. which is what I found out about in the DVX website I think it was. There's something in FCP 5 that reads some of the clips as damaged... so they were saying on the web forum. At any rate, I got the program and it managed to import the files perfectly. then I turned them into quicktimes and brought them into Final cut Pro. Which was sort of irksome, because the reason I went with panasonic over canon or sony was because I didn't want to have to buy any other software to put it into fcp... I heard that fcp 6 is supposed to allegedly fix the problem-- but I don't know if this is indeed true.
hope this helps
August 20, 2007 04:47PM
THANKS SO MUCH, WE'RE GONNA TRY THIS AND I'LL POST BACK HOW IT WORKS...

TY
September 01, 2007 10:02PM
Hi,

I am having the same/similar problem. Many clips were ingested ok, when I noticed no more files were comming into FCP

They would show up in the Finder Capture window, but onlly 32kb. There would be no preview showing, and when clicked on, a message says it is not a quicktime movie.

To eliminate error in the process, I trashed prefs, opened a new project, checked all settings, and the same thing happens. So this time, I took a file that worked for me before, and this time it failed. I did the clog preference, turning off pulldown message.

Got to get this downloaded, any ideas?

Thanx,
Trig
September 04, 2007 01:02PM
The P2 Log Program totally worked. It's called P2 Log Pro, actually. If you google it, it takes you to Imagination Software, at which my editor found a free demo version. Anyway, it fixed our clip and brought it into FCP. Also heard you can update to FCP 6.something and it will fix the problem, but didn't test that theory yet. Anyway, hope that helps, good luck.

Ty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics