24P DV to Digibeta...

Posted by Ewoo 
24P DV to Digibeta...
September 20, 2007 12:20AM
I have 24p advanced DV footage, edited in a 23.98 sequence in FCP.

I have a Kona 3 card and digibeta deck.

I want to make a digibeta copy.

What settings in FCP and on my KONA card should I use?

Should I put the 23.98p DV clips into a 29.97 timeline?

Should I do anything particular with my KONA settings?

I have read that you can put 23.98p advanced clips 'natively' onto DV tapes via firewire, but that the pulldown is not handled when you use SDI. If this is the case, what process should I use to get the sequence onto digibeta? Is the best way to go firewire onto DV first, then simply dub to digibeta?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks

EW
Re: 24P DV to Digibeta...
September 20, 2007 06:24PM
Has anyone done this before, or am I treading completely new ground?????

EW
September 20, 2007 06:31PM
There's a setting for the Kona to add 3:2 on playback of 24p media. Set playback of K to 23.98fps and it should just work from the DV timeline.

Definately don't put 24p clips on a 29.97fps timeline - it will screw them up.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
September 20, 2007 11:28PM
Thanks Graeme,

Exactly what I need to know....I will try it tomorrow.....

EW
September 21, 2007 12:00PM
Hi Graeme,

So....I checked out my KONA settings and I'm a little confused.....

The only option for standard def 23.98 in the format tab is 525i23.98. So....that's an interlaced format I believe.

So.....when I choose that option a message appears which says: "Intermediate only - secondary output format must be selected".

When I check the secondary formats dropdown menu, every option is greyed out except for 525i23.98 and 1080sf23.98.

In the codec tab of the KONA settings, I see the 24 - 30fps conversion pattern option, but don't know how to implement it - on output from FCP to the KONA to a deck, the option to convert 23.98P to 29.97i does not seem to be available as far as I can see.

Should I try telling the KONA that the output is 525i2997? In this case, should my FCP settings for video playback be the same as for my video monitor (NTSC 8 bit uncompressed). In other words, it appears to me that FCP is doing the pulldown - not the KONA.

Thanks in advance,

EW
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics