HD MONITORING/SONY SD MONITOR

Posted by schock 
HD MONITORING/SONY SD MONITOR
September 30, 2007 12:55AM
Hi

I did a search on the forum and have seen similar question/answers but Im not so sure if it applies to my situation -so forgive me if this has been asked/answered and thank you in advanced for your advise...

Up to now I've been editing DVCAM - 2 monitors for editing and 1 Sony PVM Monitor for monitoring/color correction. Now Im editing HD material (which comes to me on a hd) and I like to continue to use my 2 monitors to edit with and hopefully continue to use the Sony monitor for monitoring in HD. Will the Matrox allow me to utilize my setup or do I need to go with a specific card or do I need to ditch the Sony monitor all together and go another route? Ps I am looking for a cost efficient solutions

Thanks again
Re: HD MONITORING/SONY SD MONITOR
September 30, 2007 01:35AM
the Matrox can give you a SD output of HD material,
but as you know, uses the Computer's DVI out out, normally used for a computer display.

maybe you could get another graphs card,
or possibly another matrox product that extends your desktop.
Shane was testing this, i believe.

another approach would be to get a Kona or Blackmagic card,
wither of them will give you SD monitoring of HD material.

nick
September 30, 2007 02:07AM
Nick's right about the MXO...it takes one of your DVI ports. And I have been trying to get the Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition to work but I just can't seem to get it to work. It might be my Dell monitors, it might be my 9800 Pro graphics card...can't figure it out.

I'd recommend in this situation going with a Decklink card. Costs the same, and you can still use your current setup.

Speaking of that setup...you didn't mention WHAT PVM monitor you had. Because you cannot monitor HD as HD unless you have an HD monitor. The PVM-14L5 and 20L5 are HD monitors, but lower numbered models aren't. Again, Nick is right in that whatever card you get to monitor HD, it will downconvert to SD for monitoring. BUT...you cannot accurately color correct HD on an SD monitor. Different colorspaces.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 30, 2007 09:43AM
Shane Ross Wrote:

The PVM-14L5 and 20L5 are HD monitors, but lower numbered models aren't.

'Tis true what Shane says, but the L5s don't come with the HD boards in them. It's a separate purchase. To borrow a phrase from the consumer market, the L5 monitors are what they like to call "HD Ready".

Just to clarify....

deb
September 30, 2007 10:43AM
Sorry to disagree Debe...

The L5 series are known as MULTIFORMAT MONITORS...ready for SD and HD. You can send a component HD signal to the monitor and it will display it....RATHER well as a matter of fact. You can buy the optional HD SDI board, but it isn't absolutely necessary. When I got mine, I used Component in until the Board arrived.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 30, 2007 12:51PM
By the way... that HD SDI board is now more expensive than the whole monitor when new. Since Sony doesn't make 'em anymore, your only choice is ebay. Those boards are now going for $2-$3500.

Mark
September 30, 2007 02:59PM
Man, do people at B&H give baaaad advice...

That's not what I was told by a "sales" person from B&H, Shane. I believe your experience before I believe anyone from B&H these days.

I've been waiting to get the HD board for my L5 monitor because all my HD work is being done on other people's systems right now....I thought I'd be smart and just order one when I did my first HD job on my system....

Apparently that wasn't so smart....

shoot....

deb
September 30, 2007 04:41PM
Want mine? Selling it.

Less that what the eBay goings are iffin you want a deal.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 30, 2007 05:37PM
This was a private message, but really didn't need to be. Many people will benefit from the information provided.

SCHOCK:

> To edit on two monitors and view HD footage on my
> Sony SD PVM monitor (not a L5 Series) I would need
> a Decklink Extreme card which would then connect
> straight to the monitor. However this card will
> only let me monitor and is not a reasonable to
> color correct etc.
>
Wrong. That card is DESIGNED to let you get a full resolution color correctable image. It is up to the monitor you get that determines what it can or cannot do. PVM L1 and L2 series is FINE for color correcting SD footage...if properly set up.

> If I wanted to monitor AND color correct I should
> get a Decklink Extreme card and a L5 monitor.

Decklink Extreme HD card...yes. And an L5 monitor...or...

> Would a LCD HD TV be a reasonable option?

No...not for color correction.

> Obviously not perfect and the purist will spin but
> will it get me close enough to make color tweaks?

CLOSE? Yes. making DVDs only...yes, this will be fine for that. Broadcast TV...no way.

> Since HD is being watched on LCD's and Plasmas
> what is your feeling about editors using such?

Get a LCD that is designed for use as a color correction monitor. There are several.

> understand why we didnt use SD broadcast TV's but
> that would apply to HD, right?

Yes. Just like you wouldn't use the Zenith in your den to color correct for SD, you shouldn't use your Sharp to color correct for HD. They aren't designed for it.

>
> I also saw on the Blackmagic site they offer a
> HDLink (does that connect out of Decklink Extreme
> card?) to hook up the apple or dell monitor to
> get close enough to color balance and monitor my
> HD footage. I know you're a fan of the Matrox, I
> am assuming this is the same idea but allows me to
> edit with two monitors and have the 3rd Dell set
> up for monitoring and color balancing, correct?

This actually would be the best option you have. With the HD link, you need to already have a capture card...you do. So in essence it is PERFECT. It allows you to connect to an Apple or Dell display, and it too has Blue only and bars balancing options. I really mention the MXO to people who don't already have a capture card in hand. But you do.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 30, 2007 06:59PM
Nick writes:

the Matrox can give you a SD output of HD material,
but as you know, uses the Computer's DVI out out, normally used for a computer display.

So Nick/Shane, i'm thinking of getting an MXO for grading with Color. I have a basic mac pro with the basic nvidia 7300 Graphic card and 23 inch ACD. Do i need a second monitor or will this set up suffice?
I'm told i need to upgrade to an ATI GC but at the moment i seem to be getting by fine.
September 30, 2007 07:10PM
im not saying that the SD output of the MAtrox will be accurate for CC work,
just that id does have that capability.

i imagine it is as accurate as the BM or AJA options.
interesting to know just how far off the colour space is,
and what it all means in the real world (assuming there is such a thing)

Shane do you have simultaneous HD and SD monitoring?
what sort of differences are there?

Back to the MXO.
with that you can use a LDC computer display, such as the Apple CInema Display, or a cheaper Dell as a true HD Monitor.
you can KEEP using that screen as a second computer display, too,
you just switch it when you need it.

if you have 2 x 23" displays it might be enough.
out-put on one,
Scopes, Viewer, Timeline and Browser on the other

cheers,
nick
October 01, 2007 12:35AM
Sorry DOM...currently COLOR is not supported with the MXO. They are working on it (I have seen betas) but it isn't quite there yet.

Nick...I don't think it can output HD and SD simultaneously. I don't have it hooked up now. but looking at the controls, I don't see a SECONDARY output like I do with AJA. I'll have to test that when I get time. Differences? Big...different color spaces. 601 for SD and 7...something for HD. Forgetting the number...I'm tired.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 01, 2007 04:21AM
maybe its b'cause im not in the bigtime world there in LA, but im getting parked-playhead out via firewire from my FCP dvcproHD timeline to my sony pvm monitor. good enough for corporate and local broadcast - as ive yet to have something come back to me that wasnt "reasonably" as i delivered it...
October 01, 2007 08:15AM
hey, Wayne, i've done the same!
i was making an SD version, though, for preview.

i guess your work is broadcasting in SD?

there has to be some sort of cross-over from HD to SD.
i mean shows don't get graded TWICE.

i thought the MAtrox was simultaneous SD & HD.
never thought it wasn't, but now that i think about it,
i think that's an assumption on my part.

nick
October 01, 2007 12:06PM
Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!
October 01, 2007 12:31PM
The MXO will deliver HD to an Apple Monitor via DVI, and a downconverted SD signal out via component or SDI...thus says Matrox.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics