HDV Log and Capture

Posted by Steve Douglas 
HDV Log and Capture
October 13, 2007 03:35PM
This is a bit of a pain, and a waste of space. No one seems to have an answer so I thought I would post here. When I log and capture HDV clips, there seems to be an automatic 'make subclip' function going on. For example, if I log a 45MB clip and between the L & C there is a stop/start record in the master tape, I will also have a very small subclip with the same clip title, with a number, that is usually very small, 5.3 MBs for example. Other than to keep my L & Cs within a record in and out time, is there any way to avoid these pygmy clips? Its a pain to have to go to my capture scratch and delete them all.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Re: HDV Log and Capture
October 13, 2007 03:50PM
They're not subclips. They are clips that got broken up because there was a timecode break and you had the "Upon timecode break -- Make New Clip" User Preference selected.

If your tape has timecode breaks, not much you can do about those except to log around them. My guess is that while logging, you overlapped the clips (which is usually a good practice, but not when you have timecode breaks every time the camera stops recording), so you're getting a tiny piece of the previous shot and the upcoming shot.

But deleting those clips is easy. Learn the SHIFT-D (Make Offline) function. It gives you options to leave the files on disk, move the files to Trash, or delete right away. This allows you to erase/Trash/permanently discard the files without going into Finder.

www.derekmok.com
October 13, 2007 03:54PM
Thanks for the quick reply. However, I am confused. All these clips were shot on safari and I never, ever take a tape out of the cam when I am shooting or go back into or ahead of the tape until the tape is full. Therefore, how could there be a timecode break? Thanks for the Shift-D shortcut. Never knew that one, like it. - Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 13, 2007 04:18PM
I believe it has something to do with the GOB structure. I think, with HDV footage, FCP will see a break in the gop and end the clip, regardless of a timecode break.

Either that or the camera was set to time of day???

What version of FCP are you using?
October 13, 2007 04:33PM
FC Studio 2 on a 3GHz Mac Pro. Never have the cam set to time of day tho.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics