HD to DVD question

Posted by standard 
HD to DVD question
November 27, 2007 05:06PM
I have to burn a 1920 x1080 QT to DVD for playback.

Should this be scaled down to 720x480 DV?

If this is the case, I'm not sure how to scale it down so that square pixels look correct
for d1. Should only the horizontal be aqueezed down so that the ratio is 90 x 100?

Thanks!
Re: HD to DVD question
November 27, 2007 06:09PM
#42 - Quick and dirty way to author a DVD

Shane's Stock Answer #42 - David Roth Weiss' Secret Quick and Dirty Way to Author a DVD:

The absolute simplest way to make a DVD using FCP and DVDSP is as follows:

1. Export a QT movie, either a reference file or self contained using current settings.

2. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

3. Select the left blue one and hit delete.

4. Now, select the green one, right click on it amd select the top option "first play".

5. Now drag your QT from the broswer and drop it on top of the green monitor.

6. Now, for a DVD from an HD source, look to the right side and select the "general tab" in the track editor, and see the Display Mode, and select "16:9 pan-scan."

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

THATS ALL!!!

NOW...if you want a GOOD LOOKING DVD, instead of taking your REF movie into DVD SP, instead take it into Compressor and choose the BEST QUALITY ENCODE (2 pass VBR) that matches your show timing. Then take THAT result into DVD SP and follow the rest of the steps. Except you can choose "16:9 LETTERBOX" instead of PAN & SCAN if you want to see the entire image.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 27, 2007 06:37PM
You can actually burn a HD DVD that will play on a Mac or an HD DVD player. Just use the presets in Compressor, and switch the DVD to HD DVD selection in DVD studio pro. Also, I am pretty sure it will make a 1280x720p resolution. If you are going to go the 720x480 route, just make it a Animation or Uncompressed 8 bit QT, NTSC widescreen pixel.. it's an option you can select.
November 27, 2007 06:47PM
Thanks!
I have always used bitVice but haven't updated. I'll give compressor a shot.
November 27, 2007 06:49PM
Awesome, Shane! Much faster than the old tried and true. Will 16:9 play back on a standard dvd player as well as an HD player?
November 27, 2007 10:19PM
Just in case, I just letterboxed it in DV format. Not the greatest, but it'll suffice if things screw up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics