FCP BLURRY ENLARGEMENT ISSUES

Posted by AL 
AL
FCP BLURRY ENLARGEMENT ISSUES
November 30, 2007 08:22AM
Hi there,

Just looking for advice on how to avoid the loss of sharpness that results from enlargements to images in FCP. It happens when I click on the image and pull out one of the corners to make the image bigger. Obviously there is always some loss when any image is enlarged but the amount of loss seems disproportionate to the amount enlarged. I heard it can somehow be solved by the way in which the enlarging increments can be entered into the scale section of the motion tab. Any help welcome.

Thanks

Alan F.
Re: FCP BLURRY ENLARGEMENT ISSUES
November 30, 2007 09:21AM
> I heard it can somehow be solved by the way in which the enlarging increments can be entered
> into the scale section of the motion tab.

The way the increments are entered? Sounds like a wild-goose chase to me. How much scaling up are you doing? Unless you're working with high-def source footage in a standard-def timeline (oh, joyful 200 per cent blowups), the image tends to fall apart after about 110 per cent or so.

Make sure you're watching on an external monitor, not the Canvas, where effects usually look worse than they are. Also, since you're using the Wireframe, make sure you didn't accidentally make other Motion changes which can further degrade the image (eg. Distort).

www.derekmok.com
November 30, 2007 03:10PM
as far as enlargements are concerned, there's no difference at all between working the wireframe and entering numbers in the motion tab.

how big a blow up are you talking about?

other points:
- you may have to render the image, even so called "Full" quality
- open the sequence settings, go to the Video Processing tab, and turn "Motion Filtering" to best

other software:
ReSizer [www.digitalanarchy.com]
Instant HD [www.redgiantsoftware.com]
AL
December 03, 2007 01:24AM
Thaks peeps,

I am aware of the rendering all etc. Pressing ALT R on the keyboard automatically renders everything in sight without going to the menu even. The issue lies here for me: Maybe I am the only one to notice this/ maybe it is a pal issue but I urge you guys to try this and see if you can notice what I am about to tell you. Click on an image in the canvas in wireframe mode. Then drag out a corner (even a small amount) to perform a small blow-up. Now watch your external monitor ( I am using a JVC high res broadcast 19"monitor) as you do the following: After the enlargement note the sharpness of the image. Okay. Now move the image vertically a small amount - same sharpness? No? Okay move it slightly again and it will suddenly appear sharper after a few random moves around. So if the image sits in certain axis it is definitely sharper than where it sits in others. So yes Derek I agree with you this is a wild goose chase to get there but the point is there must be some way of controlling this. I am also making sure not to distort the image in any way. Have I lost the plot? Has anyone else never noticed this phenomenon?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics