Fttping an MPEG 2

Posted by NaylorM 
Fttping an MPEG 2
December 12, 2007 11:50AM
Hope everyone is having a great day.

Mac g5
Final cut pro hd

I need to fttp a 30 min show once a week. I am wonering if there is a MPEG 2 format that will merge the Aiff and the Vid together.

We were sending a QT file but it was way to big and took forever.

If anyone has any other suggestions please send them my way.

Thanks
NaylorM
Re: Fttping an MPEG 2
December 12, 2007 12:04PM
Why not use an MPEG-4 in H.264 format? A 30-minute show can be made into about 80-150MB at decent quality, 320x240 frame size, 29.97fps, between 300 and 1000kbps.

www.derekmok.com
December 12, 2007 12:13PM
I will try that, but will they be able to broadcast it on TV?

Thanks
NaylorM
December 12, 2007 12:21PM
I Believe that, that is something you have to check with your client. Could be possible that they can or maybe not. Depends on the system they use to broadcast if it can read that type of compression.

Best suggestion: Try checking with the technician there and if they can test it out, even better.

Good luck

Krislon
December 12, 2007 12:49PM
nobodys going to accept mpeg2 as a broadcast injest format in the first place. at least not that im aware of... seems to me that you or your client may have been given some incorrect or incomplete information. you probably need to have a more detailed conversation with the broadcaster.

and ftp'ing a broadcast res (720x480) 30 minute program isnt really realistic unless you have some serious - SERIOUS bandwidth or just a lot of free time.

this is why God created FedEx ; )

----- and BTW, there is only one t in FTP (file transfer protocol)
December 12, 2007 12:58PM
Thanks K and D

I am sending the techs (or the people we have been in contact with) and see what they say. Hopefully, one of these suggestions will work. Otherwise it is back to the QT files.

NaylorM
December 12, 2007 01:34PM
<<<nobodys going to accept mpeg2 as a broadcast injest format in the first place. >>>

Oh, I bet they do. Post Injest is transport stream MPEG2. I bet somebody in the Injest office wants you to Pre-Injest it (so to speak) to save them a step.

That also assigns blame. If the air show turns to peanut butter, it's your fault.

Decline.

I agree. FedEx/Overnight is your friend.

Koz
December 12, 2007 07:38PM
Koz

I see your bet and raise you a BILLLLLLLION dollars. Yes they do accept MPEG2 as a broadcast format - Mosey on over to THE NEWSMARKET.COM and sign up for a download account - it's a VNR service for corporations that want to get video out quickly to reporters - and low and behold - the format of choice - in fact the only format you can download - is MPEG2.

I know having worked at the networks and local stations - they are downloading and putting these into pieces every day. But they are only 5 minute clips - a manageable up and download.

So to answer your original question way up at the top of this thread - well Wayne said it - you need serious bandwidth or a lot of time - a 30 minute 720 by 480 MPEG clip is going to be a large file - Good luck - Andy
December 13, 2007 10:10AM
Andy and Koz are correct about MPEG2 being used for broadcast. I upload MPEG2 files to The Newsmarket all the time. The clips are typically two minutes long... and are less than 90 MB. I use Compressor (720 x 480; average data rate 4 Mbps, max data rate 6 Mpbs; audio set at IMA 4:1). Once the video and audio files are created, merge them using BitViceHelper, which can be downloaded here:
[www.macupdate.com]

Thomas
December 14, 2007 12:22PM
We FTP this way frequently due to the fact that our K2/Profile server requires MPEG-2 for ingest and does not recognize any other container format. SWEET system!

What I typically do is to export via Compressor and select "MPEG Program Stream" as the compression format. Once you've done that, you can go into your inspector window, click on the "quality" tab and adjust the size of your final file there.

You will have to work out acceptable quality with the QC people at the station you are FTP'ing to. 30 minutes is going to take a looooonnnnng time to FTP at any acceptable quality setting, though.
December 15, 2007 11:29AM
I've used DGFastchannel for TV spot distribution. 25,000kbps MPEG2 Program Streams. Works just fine. I've seen my spots on the air and they look as I intended them to. All done through FTP. No DigiBeta dubs. No trip to the FedEx office.

I may use Pathfire to distribute VNRs. 8000kbps MPEG2 Program Streams.

I use Telestream/Flip4Mac Episode Pro for the above. Works great. If you're checking your work use VLC instead of Quicktime (which seems to falsely present macroblock and other issues).

Interesting about Newsmarket.com. I'll have a look at that too.
August 25, 2008 02:19PM
Do they kick back spots with a 0 IRE setup?

Anyone got a current Telestream setting that takes a 0IRE to 100IRE video and raises to 7.5 and does all the other encoding magic DGFastchannel needs?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics