encoding for the web

Posted by efcowin 
encoding for the web
February 27, 2008 07:01PM
I have to prepare a video for a website. I read the tutorial and I don't understand what it means to "export to MPEG-4 with H.264.
I can use MPEG-4 OR I can use H.264 but how do you do both?
I am using FCP 5.1.4
Also, I thought that if someone doesn't have Quicktime 7 they won't be able to view a video using H.264.
I am in over my head here. Can anyone help me?
Re: encoding for the web
February 27, 2008 07:33PM
You can make an MPEG-4 in H.264 codec. Look at the FCP or QuickTime export options.

www.derekmok.com
February 27, 2008 11:42PM
Mpeg4 apparently functions as both a wrapper and a codec. I wouldn't advise on a final cut export for the h.264 within an mpg4, as I've noticed it still doesn't look as good as a h.264 mov encoded off compressor.

Anything that uses the h.264 requires QT 7. So a h.264 within an mpg4 requires QT7 to play.
February 28, 2008 01:23AM
> I wouldn't advise on a final cut export for the h.264 within an mpg4, as I've noticed it still
> doesn't look as good as a h.264 mov encoded off compressor.

As far as I know -- and people should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong -- H.264 MPEG-4s are much, much smaller than H.264 .movs, which conversely means you can use higher data rates for the same file size. Those MPEG-4s can also be resaved with an .mov extension.

www.derekmok.com
February 28, 2008 02:05AM
smiling smiley yup, that's what i thought too, but apparently final cut's quicktime conversion doesn't do as good a job as compressor- the picture seemed to block up more consistently at the same rates

-------Update------------
Just ran some tests. Apparently something seems drastically wrong with Final Cut's QT conversion. i tried the mpg4 with H.264 thing awhile ago, and decided to stick to exporting h.264 with compressor as the quality of encoding was drastically off. So i just exported a short interlaced clip with text via fcp's qt conversion (which seems to be the only place to do it), and ran the same compression setting via compressor, but on a h.264 .mov. Compared to the h.264 mov file, there seemed to be additional interlaced combs, the text was a compression disaster, and areas were seemed to almost block on a slow pan. The h.264 mov from compressor had pristine quality for such a small file size, and the size and data rate between the two versions are almost similar.

Then, i thought, what the heck, so i exported a qt movie and encoded the thing in qt pro, mpg4 with the h.264 codec, using the same settings that i used in fcp's qt conversion (max limit at 2200 kbs). but this time, the quality is almost identical to the h.264 from compressor. The file sizes are also almost similar. Exported a picture from QT, did a differential matte in photoshop, and there was hardly a difference (except in the area where the text was).

Conclusion: 1) File size and data rates to quality wise, there seems to be no difference between the mpg4 and mov containers. 2) as usual, qt conversion in final cut is still something to avoid if possible.

Side note: when exporting a final cut quicktime movie for encoding in compressor, check the "include compression markers". (or check it anyway, just in case). This important piece of metadata contains edit points to set I-frames. Without the compression marker box checked, compressor doesn't seem to be able to read the edit points.
February 28, 2008 10:00AM
I tried just straight QT conversion from FC and it looks the best but it is too large. When I went through compressor the whole piece looked "washed out" and it looked that way when I did the mpeg4 thing with h.264.
When I get back to my studio today I will try again.
Thanks..
February 28, 2008 02:25PM
I keep trying this and with H264 it looks horrible. Also, the people doing the website want it down to 10MB and the smallest I can get it is 27MB. I have tried the settings suggested on Ken Stone's site...I must have 15 versions by now.
Can I get a 3 minute video down to 10MB and have it look good?
February 28, 2008 02:45PM
Good? How good? How does it look now? You could try compromising on the audio (128kbs on mono) to provide that bit of space for the video.
February 28, 2008 04:55PM
<< When I went through compressor the whole piece looked "washed out" >>

When using Compressor, try playing with "Restore Black" "Restore White" and "Gamma". It makes a world of difference. I learned this from Philip Hodgetts "Encoding Recipes for the Internet". If you crop in compressor, it will also cut down on file size.

I have also found out, when going for a good mix of ingredients in compressing, take a small section of the video for testing. Nothing is worse than hitting "Submit" and and coming back 18 hours later to find out you need ANOTHER try.

Cameron Young
February 28, 2008 06:51PM
Check out this FAQ : How Can I Compress for the Web?

In particular it contains a couple of good links.

February 28, 2008 08:01PM
I have looked at everything. Yesterday I started with Philip Hodgetts "Encoding Recipes for the Internet and I had already looked at the FAQ.
I think the H264 just doesn't work for my video and I had to go with MPEG-4. I think it looks okay now and I thank everyone for their suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics