Working with Stills

Posted by strypes 
Working with Stills
February 28, 2008 09:37AM
Hey guys,

I've some stills i need to edit into a sequence as part of an ep. What are some cool ways to edit a sequence of stills? Any interesting editing styles/examples for stills?
Re: Working with Stills
February 28, 2008 10:03AM
Do a forum search on "Stills" & look in the FAQ...tons have already been discussed on this.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 28, 2008 11:05AM
When we do still seqs we use Shine lens flares in AE for transitions and slow zoom IN/Out in FCP...it is always a challenge to make still sequences look exciting in a program, I guess that is why Rostrum camera work is so costly. If you want to see some great stills editing check out the film 'Dogtown and the Z Boys' - great film edited with vibrance and many stills. Phil UK
February 28, 2008 12:37PM
[www.digitaljuice.com]
Check out this video tutorial, it should give you some ideas, if your up to the task the 2.5d animation is a really killer way of animating photos.
February 28, 2008 11:03PM
That's a concise tutorial-- love the 2.5D part-- but he glosses over a couple things:

1) Don't use JPEGS for photomotion, JPEGS are crap compression-- the artifacts often hit the scanlines and twitter like crazy. By the time you set the compression of a JPEG to maximum quality you might as well be using what you SHOULD use-- PSD or TIFF's, RGB format.

2) Nothing about scanning rich for crisp enlargement.

Follow this to learn more:

Intelligent photo scanning for video.

- Loren
Photo scan rates demystified!
ScanGuide? Pro compact reference now at the LAFCPUG Store !
February 29, 2008 06:05AM
Thanks for the help guys! Was great. I didn't get to try out the 2.5d animation yet, but i probably will get my hands wet on it over the weekend.

Loren, thanks for the tip. I usually work in tiff or tga, preferably tiff as it can contain layers. PSDs are always a nest and it's a hassle unless i'm going to work on individual layers of a picture.

Here's an exerpt from a ken stone article... but why?

> If you plan on enlarging the photo or doing a 'pan and scan' in FCP, your image will need to be
>worked from the start at 300 dpi, but everything else will be exactly the same.

I heard this was to prevent the lines from buzzing, as huge frame sizes end up buzzing badly in final cut (not to mention lag). So if i was to plan a 300% zoom, i should scan in a photo at slightly larger than 720x576 (PAL) but set it at a minimum of 72 dpi x 300%?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics