aiff from fcp

Posted by newptfot 
aiff from fcp
March 18, 2008 12:58PM
When I play an audio recording from tape in FCP6 it sounds fine, when I export to AIFF and burn in toast it's horrible. The levels in FCP aren't clipping, customer just wants sound bite on CD, what am I missing?

Rick
Re: aiff from fcp
March 18, 2008 08:11PM
After you export to AIFF, if you play that in Quicktime, does it sound ok? At what point does it go wonky? And what is the definition of 'sounds horrible'?

March 18, 2008 09:09PM
Hi Jude, if I open in quicktime it sounds ok, if I export from FCP as aiff and burn in toast to CD then play back CD it sounds like clipping, overmodulated?
March 18, 2008 10:37PM
What happens if you burn it to CD via iTunes instead? Might be a setting in Toast that needs tracking down?

March 18, 2008 10:41PM
> if I open in quicktime it sounds ok, if I export from FCP as aiff and burn in toast to CD then play
> back CD it sounds like clipping, overmodulated?

One of my producers had this issue just last week. Sound that was six to eight dB into the red in FCP didn't sound blown out on her laptop despite external speakers; you could have the same situation. Check the FCP sound meters -- if it looks and sounds blown out there, then it's blown out.

Also, where are you playing the CD?

www.derekmok.com
March 19, 2008 07:31AM
I'm playing the timeline out thru a Sony monitor sounds fine there, if I switch to external off it sounds OK on the thru my Mac. I'm burning in toast then playing the CD back in the computer thru external speakers and it sounds raspy.
March 19, 2008 07:41AM
Jude, you were right burning thru itunes works, I have will go back and see what gives in Toast.

Thank You Rick
March 19, 2008 08:42AM
Is it a possibility of a bad 48khz-44.1khz converter? CD audio is at 44.1khz. Also, there could be a noise reduction/maximizer turned "on", messing around with your sound.
March 19, 2008 11:08AM
strypes- where is the noise reduction / maximizer just curious?

Rick
March 19, 2008 11:38AM
Some software maximises volume by default. An example, compressor compresses encodings in ac3 (dialnorm& film standard compression). Apologies on the terminology error- i don't mean noise reduction (that's usually not in use). I meant compression/normalization (or dialog normalization in the case of dolby). There's usually a checkbox somewhere, or in the settings. Can't seem to find it in Toast, but i remember seeing it in Nero, a couple of years back.

Distortion should not happen on an audio cd, as audio cds allow for dynamic range up to 0dBs without distortion. Run a detect audio peaks and do an audio mixdown before export.

What does it sound like? Can you convert the audio to mp3 and upload it?

Also, 48khz is not audio cd standards, so it would be downsampled to 44.1khz, resulting in some audio problems (but likely not in your case).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics