Talking Heads doc -- suggestions

Posted by Lisha 
Talking Heads doc -- suggestions
May 09, 2008 02:05PM
Hello to all,

I'm working on a talking heads documentary and looking for ways to make it visually interesting. I have lots of talking heads footage and lots of black and white photos -- over 800 to choose from! I have a few ideas up my sleeve, but I'd like to hear from the group as well. Any suggestions of documentaries that really stand out? Or is there an effect that you've been dying to try in a documentary and just haven't had the opportunity? LOL! I'll be your guinea pig! winking smiley Or have you seen something done and thought, "Wow, that's a really cool idea?" Please share!

I think the photos and the interviews will hold there own but I'd like to do something to spice things up a bit here and there.

As always, thanks so much!!!!!!

Peace,
Lisha
www.badamitv.com
Re: Talking Heads doc -- suggestions
May 09, 2008 02:32PM
Explore the collected works of Errol Morris... He's the king of talking head docs. His work with still photos in Fog Of War and Dr. Death is exquisite.
May 09, 2008 02:42PM
I really like the way Apple does Front Row - Press Apple (command) + Esc

I think the infinity shiny reflective black space with floating pictures looks really cool and is quite easy to achieve with FCP or Motion.

I think it would work either as a full effect running throughout or intermittently with it coming to full screen for the longer sections.

Obviously with the pictures dominating rather than the text!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 10, 2008 10:47AM
[I'm working on a talking heads documentary and looking for ways to make it visually interesting]

Don't do wall to wall talking heads! You answered your own question-- 800 stills to choose from. You'll be fine. Just scan them or sample them intelligently for enlargement, zooms, etc.

Here's the ScanGuide Pro tutorial.

Watch the works of Errol, and also Ken Burns, Ric Burns, and Chris Marker's La Jete.

- Loren
Photo scan rates demystified!
ScanGuide? Pro compact reference now at
www.neotrondesign.com
May 21, 2008 05:18PM
Hey Lisha

Regarding my previous suggestion - Industrial Revolution just released a free FxFactory plugin called coverflux which does exactly this...

[idustrialrevolution.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 21, 2008 05:38PM
Sweeeeet! Thank you so much!!!!!!!! And thank you, everyone for your suggestions!
May 22, 2008 02:47PM
Thanks again Ben! The producer loves the effect, now that he can see a visual, and I've been given the green light! I'm going to use it along with some other ideas.

Peace,
Lisha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics