Apple Memory vs. Third Party???

Posted by Nu2FCP 
Apple Memory vs. Third Party???
May 18, 2008 11:55PM
Does anyone have any opinions on third party memory versus Apple certified memory?
Re: Apple Memory vs. Third Party???
May 19, 2008 12:05AM
Yeah...cheaper and as good.

www.crucial.com is one good option...and were I always get my RAM.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 19, 2008 02:02AM
Kingston RAM is good. You don't need to buy Apple in this instance and you'll still get quality product.

May 19, 2008 09:53AM
I've always had great performance and cost-savings with Kingston too. But remember all ram is not built the same. Make sure it is from a reputable company and comes with a lifetime warranty.

"Never underestimate a kick to the nuts"
Bas Rutten
May 19, 2008 11:48AM
I always get mine from OWC - www.macsales.com

Great service and good products.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
May 19, 2008 01:08PM
You probably shouldn't get it from Joe's Back Alley Memory Sales in El Segundo.

Please note that almost everybody above got either Kingston or Crucial. Crucial has a cross-reference where you tell it the machine and it will tell you the part numbers you need. They all offer good guarantees.

I have used both successfully. One Crucial memory purchase is in its third computer.

If you think there is anything wrong, you can get MemTest OS-X.

[www.memtestosx.org]

Highly recommended. That's also a good way to test the whole machine if you think there is anything wrong. Leave it running overnight.

There is a mental thing that happens when you buy memory. You put Joe's memory in the machine and everything immediately goes in the toilet, so instead of taking the memory out, you post on-line that your computer is unstable. It takes us a couple of days to figure out you got new memory.

Something in the human genome.

Koz
May 19, 2008 07:59PM
Yep...Kingston RAM for all my machines. No Apple RAM for me. That's like burning money. I get my RAM from either Macsolutions or Buy.com (MBP - Kingston 2 GB RAM sticks = $80.00 each!!).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 21, 2008 11:54PM
Thanks so much for all the excellent replies, I can see that the overwhelming majority choose third party memory almost exclusively. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics