Upgrading to Leopard...

Posted by Lisha 
Upgrading to Leopard...
May 29, 2008 11:27AM
Hello to all,

First off, I'm in the middle of a project -- 3 for that matter. :-) I recently upgraded to FCS2. I started a project and then realized a plugin I want to use needs Leopard to run. One of the 3 projects is waiting for final approval before I do the audio mix and is a FCP5 project. I have FCP 5 installed under another user. I've been working between FCP 5 and 6.

Any suggestions before I pop in the Leopard disc?confused smiley

As always, thanks in advance!

Peace,
Lisha
G5 2.3 Ghz 5Gb ram
Photoshop 7
After Effects 5.5
DVDxDVPro 1.0.6
Re: Upgrading to Leopard...
May 29, 2008 11:35AM
Yeah, don't. What's the plug-in? You can always find another to work around it or simulate it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 29, 2008 11:49AM
Courtesy of a suggestion from the group... ;-)

[idustrialrevolution.com]

"(FxFactory2 & Leopard need to be installed)"

I did just walk on the wild side and upgrade the project in FCP 5 to 6. It seems to be playing fine. I'm going to play through the project to make sure all clips are intact. This means I can get rid of FCP5 and just work with 6.

Lisha
May 29, 2008 12:09PM
> First off, I'm in the middle of a project -- 3 for that matter.
> I've been working between FCP 5 and 6.

Hmm. I'm with Michael on this. Don't. 3 projects, shifting FCP versions, as well as OS (and possibly QT). That's quite a lot for a project to do (not to mention 3). If you absolutely have to, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive (and everything that you need) before jumping. That being said, I'd avoid it.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 29, 2008 12:24PM
Is it still as bad of an idea if now I'm only dealing with FCP 6? I was able to upgrade the FCP5 project this morning and so far so good. I'm playing through the project now to check for missing clips and sync issues. So, still 3 projects, but all in FCS2 now.

I would really like to use this plugin [idustrialrevolution.com]

Thanks so much!
Lisha
May 29, 2008 12:59PM
Not if you don't get any issues.

I have consistently updated all my software (mid project(s) sometimes) and never had an issue.

However there are people who have had major headaches.

So in future or if in doubt do the sensible thing and make a backup before you upgrade - I know its a bore but nothing compared to losing your hard work!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 29, 2008 01:26PM
> Not if you don't get any issues.

I now only upgrade to systems when there are benefits in the upgrade and there are no known major issues. Good when you don't get problems, but the FCP 4.5 guys on QT 7.4 with capture problems will likely beg to differ on the statement. You don't want to be stung after a week of edit (eg. having to manually reconnect/resync hundreds of clips).

Regarding plug-ins, I'd upgrade for smooth cam though (i'm just too crazy to follow rationality sometimes)... not for bad tv though (not a bad effect, just that i haven't really had a need for that one). Just remember to get a spare hard disk to clone a bootable disk from, check all your edit points after the upgrade, check for audio sync on all clips, etc...

Btw, you'll never be able to find Boris the Yak on 6! sad smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
May 29, 2008 01:45PM
I never saw him on 3, 4 or 5! LOL!
May 29, 2008 01:56PM
O.o He's an absolute necessity! Every once in a while when I have a producer or client in the edit, Boris will pop up say hello... as well as few words.... Good sit-in edits always require fun people, booze for afters and boris the yak. Can't imagine an edit without... until FCP 6 came along.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 29, 2008 02:06PM
Boris?
May 29, 2008 02:09PM
May 29, 2008 02:16PM
Once I have Leopard installed confused smiley can I use Time Machine for back-up or should I stick with Carbon Copy Cloner?

Lisha
May 29, 2008 02:35PM
Use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your system BEFORE you upgrade to Leopard.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 29, 2008 03:19PM
Got that part. :-) But once I've upgraded, the question came up in the office, should I do regular back ups with Carbon Copy Cloner or use Leopard's Time Machine?
May 29, 2008 04:19PM
Boris the yak must be in the european version of FCS (smiling bouncing smiley)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 30, 2008 03:17AM
May 30, 2008 03:20AM
>But once I've upgraded, the question came up in the office, should I do regular back ups with
>Carbon Copy Cloner or use Leopard's Time Machine?

Backing up constantly is good practice. Unfortunately, I don't usually have the resources to back up all the time, especially time machine.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 30, 2008 03:30PM
Lisha

If you haven't upgraded yet you might want to look at this:

[www.finalcutprotemplates.com]

simple templates and I'd guess does not require Leopard. There is bound to be one in this 100 that will suit your needs.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 01, 2008 09:21PM
Those templates look good, but I just bought them only to discover that there are no PAL versions, no anamorphic versions and it requires FCP 6.0.2. So basically I've blown $100 because now I have to reconfigure them all to match my footage, and that kind of defeats the purpose of buying something premade.

I wouldn't have minded so much if it actually told you any of this in the information somewhere, but AFAIK there isn't any mention of this before purchase. So PAL buyers beware.

June 02, 2008 01:22AM
> So basically I've blown $100

Darn. That's abt the price of a night out with my girl... okay... around 1.5 times that amount due to recent inflation... smileys with beer

www.strypesinpost.com
June 02, 2008 04:28AM
Yes, but you get a night out with your girl for your money. tongue sticking out smiley

I spoke to the manufacturer and he says they will be releaseing PAL and 1080i versions by the end of June, with free upgrades for those that bought it now. He also offered my money back, but I don't want it. The package itself it great - just don't buy it if you need it for a PAL or 1080i program until late June.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics