Recording VO in FCP with Mac G5 using Camera's Pass Though Function

Posted by ixschell 
Recording VO in FCP with Mac G5 using Camera's Pass Though Function
July 12, 2008 11:12AM
I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to record a VO using my camera's pass though function. I've done it before, so I know it can be done. I learned how to do it on this forum. But, I haven't done it in a long time so I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

I have a G5 OS 10.4.11. I'm running FCP 5.0. I have a Sony PD-150 Camera and a wireless mic.

I have Log and Capture set to: Non-Controllable Device and DV NTSC 48 KHz. My PD-150 is on camera mode with the wireless mic going into it. I can see that I'm getting audio because the meters are working. But, when I click on "Capture Now," it starts and stops immediately.

Any suggestions?
Re: Recording VO in FCP with Mac G5 using Camera's Pass Though Function
July 12, 2008 04:08PM
Hi
Make sure that your cam audio is set to the correct input and out put -Jay-
July 12, 2008 04:40PM
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure that is the problem. I have the camera firewired into the computer. I'm getting audio because the meters are moving up and down. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Colleen
July 12, 2008 04:59PM
Well it sounds like you are getting audio, just not hearing it. If you don't have speakers hooked up to the camera how you going to hear the audio?

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 12, 2008 05:12PM
Hi Michael,

Yes, I am getting audio, I can see it on the meters, but FCP is not recording a Quicktime movie. It records a white icon. I just tried to record on a tape and log and capture it normally. Then, reset the capture settings to FireWire NTSC and DV NTSC 48khz. But, I got an error message. "unable to initialize deck. You may still log offline clips or use Capture Now."

So, I tried plugging the camera into a different firewire port. I tried three ports in total. I got the same message each time. I tried plugging my deck into each port and I got the same message. I'm really confused. What could cause this? I think this is the root of the problem. Thanks for your help!

Colleen
July 12, 2008 06:19PM
Have you specified a region with in and out points for recording?

It is usually easier to just record to tape and bring that in. It maybe you need to quit FCP, unplug camera, plug it back in, turn it on to VTR mode, launch FCP.

Also Read this tutorial. Might help troubleshoot your problem

[www.lafcpug.org]

still should be specific to FCP 6

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 12, 2008 06:47PM
I ran my trusty Disk Warrior and it fixed the problem! No, wonder nothing made sense. I was able to record VO though the pass though function and with a tape.

Thank you Michael!

Colleen
July 12, 2008 06:51PM
Gotta say, though, that's a pretty bizarre presentation for a directory problem. This is why troubleshooting can be so difficult -- sometimes problems and solutions just don't make sense!

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics