Mackbook pro for hdv advise needed

Posted by guamrider 
Mackbook pro for hdv advise needed
July 20, 2008 08:43PM
After switching over to hdv (and the faq section has been very helpful) I just realized that my trusty old powerrbook G4 667 with fcp 4.5hd on it is now a loved relic, so I'm about to spring for a new macbook pro.

I travel quite a bit and my "normal" road video acquisition was that I'd log and capture the sd footage through the fcp onto a portable firewire drive, and then copy the footage and project over to a macpro for editing, etc. when I get back home.

Because I've been doing this for years this way and am stumbling my way thru hdv I don't want to spend the money if I can't do the same thing with the macbook pro. I know the log and then capture isn't possible anymore, but I still need the capability to input the video onto an external firewire drive.

So I guess my questions are (1) once I load fcp 6.04 on it can I select the external firewire drive as the capture disk and will it work this way, and (2) do you have any recommendations on which laptop to buy considering I almost never edit on it due to poor eyesight. I really need my dell monitor for this.

Any suggestions or comments would certainly be appreciated.
Re: Mackbook pro for hdv advise needed
July 21, 2008 09:45AM
I share a similar situation. I originally purchased a MBP 2.33 Ghz (2006) for capturing DVCPRO HD from an HVX200 with P2 cards, but have now been more mobile lately.

Now, HDV is very low data rate, much like DV so any type of external disk drive would work. Since I believe in 4:2:2 color space instead of HDV's 4:2:0, I opted for an Express 34 eSATA card and two 500 GB drives in an external enclosure for editing DVCPRO HD. I have had very good luck with this setup to date.

I learned long ago to NEVER trust Firewire drives too far.

P.S. Be sure to get eh largest volume internal drive because FCP 6 and later version will only increase the volume of content to be loaded on installation.

(2) do you have any recommendations on which laptop to buy considering I almost never edit on it due to poor eyesight. I really need my dell monitor for this.

When I am in the office I connect my MBP to a 23" Apple Cinema Display for editing chores but be sure to get the 17" MBP and get the higher definition display if you can afford the extra $100.
July 21, 2008 10:45AM
hey john, (sorry for thr brief thread hijack guam)

how does your MBP compare to say a G5 quad? im more and more feeling the need to "intelify" and was considering going all mobile.

have you done much render/encode intensive work with the MBP?
July 21, 2008 11:28AM
Hi Wayne,

Well, at first I didn't think the MBP was going to be as good as the Quad G5 but as I used it more and more it is becoming my favorite editing platform.

I think there might be something to the "Intel" thing with FCC2. I like the MBP so much that GULP!, I may NEVER again buy a desktop computer. While a 3.0 quad/dual quad computer will render/encode faster, I find this computer entirely adequate. (Your mileage may vary)

That is a major shift from my stance on needing a desktop to edit. It is also possible because of the new breed of cameras that don't need a capture card.

The thought of the next OS (Snow Leopard) only running on an Intel, is also a consideration.

Personally, I can't see the need to spend >$4K for an editing platform when the MBP can run Color . Lots to consider.

The ability to connect DVI to a large display and the Express 34 eSATA can address two ports with some cards ability to port sharing. This means more than 2 SATA drive connected!
July 21, 2008 03:23PM
john,
Thanks very much for the info. I never thought of using the esata card / drives. As the alternative, does it really make much difference whether the drive is 5400 vice 7200 rpm?
Pete
July 21, 2008 07:12PM

does it really make much difference whether the drive is 5400 vice 7200 rpm?

Yep...the higher speed of the hard drive gives you faster data retrieval and increased performance. I've got one (2.6 Ghz Core2Duo / 4 GB RAM / 7200 RPM 200 GB drive) and the thing screams.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 21, 2008 08:37PM
Thanks, thats exactly the Macbook pro that I just bought with the hi res.
July 21, 2008 10:03PM
I have the hi res screen also and I use a second monitor out of the DVI port. My mobile suite also includes:

A LOGITECH WIRELESS MOUSE
APPLE KEYBOARD
GRIFFIN ELEVATOR

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics