I need help with MATH in Frame rate for a Music video

Posted by Luie 
I need help with MATH in Frame rate for a Music video
August 11, 2008 10:53PM
I am shooting a music video on the RED camera.

1st off what is the proper way to set up my CD I have heard 29.97
and
RED @ 23.98
and how do i put the music on ch. 1 and TC on ch 2

next
I want to shoot double speed 48FPS i believe i just need to double the speed on the song or set it to 200% does this sound right?

next whats the math for 60fps?

and what software would you use for exporting the song?
I am experimenting with FCP but it sounds like the chipmunks can anything be done about that in the pitch yet keep the speed?

THANKS a lot.
Re: I need help with MATH in Frame rate for a Music video
August 11, 2008 11:01PM
If you want to shoot at 48, then yes, your on-set playback needs to be at 2x speed. Soundtrack Pro has a retiming function that can change the speed of a music track while preserving the pitch.

If you want to shoot at 60, you need 2.5x on-set playback.
August 11, 2008 11:07PM
very cool thank you Jeff

sounded simpler than i thought.

And can i just output from STP?
and it will give me 29.97
I should be fine?
August 11, 2008 11:09PM
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about there. 29.97 is a video frame rate, and is not applicable to audio.

I'm understanding you correctly, right? You're talking about preparing a music track for on-set playback?
August 11, 2008 11:32PM
You need to clear up if you are shooting integer frame rates (i.e. exactly 24, 48, 60) or "pulled down" frame rates (23.976). Does the RED do 23.976 or just 24? I've lost track of that.

Because your final product will most definitely play back at a non integer rate of 29.97 you'll have to factor this into your calculations if you are editing at 23.976 or 29.97.

Audio doesn't have a frame rate like Jeff was saying, but I think this is what you're getting at.

Any manipulations you do in STP should be output to your on-set playback format. Seeing as you are using CD to playback, timecode rate of playback doesn't matter. Do your calculations and dump out your AIFFs or whatever from STP and burn them to the CD. Test your CD and make reserve copies. Don't scrimp on a 1 dollar CD that costs you $$$ in down time while you burn another on set.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
August 12, 2008 07:39AM
Just make sure you have a Clapper Slate and you are recording the sound from the shoot as a sync guide!

Even though you will replace the location audio with the final mixed version in the edit.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics