Posted by Andreas Kiel 
OT: Next European FCP supermeet?
October 09, 2008 09:09AM
[tvbeurope.com]

What do you think? smiling smiley
Andreas
Re: OT: Next European FCP supermeet?
October 09, 2008 10:31AM
Make it Italy (Rome / Florence)...I'll sell my house to be there.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 09, 2008 10:48AM
I love Amsterdam, but now that I've been there I'd love to see Barcelona or for that matter any other city. How about Berlin? Paris? We could do a SuperMeet at the Louvre. Or one at Andreas's house?

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 09, 2008 10:59AM
London...the greatest city in the world and home of the greatest broadcasting corporation in the world. OK it's expensive but what a town. Phil UK.
October 09, 2008 11:08AM
Yeah, we looked into London believe it or not. There were talks to bring a SuperMeet to the UK, but holy smoke, its out of control expensive. Don't know how anyone survives there. Assuming one needs to eat.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 09, 2008 11:09AM
>London...the greatest city in the world

You've not been to Rome then Phil?
October 09, 2008 11:14AM

Assuming one needs to eat.

Everyone knows that the British survive on Alcohol as it's high in calories and we get it cheap from the supermarket tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 09, 2008 11:23AM
....not even a mention of Rome.

* sigh *

October 09, 2008 11:26AM
I'm up for somewhere in the Tuscany region. Good wine I hear.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 09, 2008 11:32AM
Grampa on my Father's side was from Tuscany. White sauce / goooooooood wine.

October 09, 2008 11:44AM
Find out if he has a Villa with a large tent suitable for 800 people. If he does, then we are there.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 09, 2008 12:14PM

Or one at Andreas's house?
... where ever that might be next year September

I'd prefer either Rome or Barcelona, London is expensive and Paris is french ;-)

Barcelona has a real good nightlife, very good food and a good transportation system and very nice people all on a moderate 'price'. I loved those expos I worked at Barcelona (when I was younger) - party starts at 11 pm and ends at 5 or 6 am - time enough to have a shower and breakfast before expo starts.

Rome is great too I love it as well, perfect food, perfect people and italian - something I love especially. Prices and transport are not as good as in Barcelona - but maybe Mike can rent the Colosseum for the first historical SuperMeet where every sponsor has to 'provide a Gladiator' for a final fight and the SuperMeet attendees do the famous 'thumb up' or 'thumb down'.

Somewhere in the Tuscany is fine as well. But the northern part of it like 'chianti classico region" is pricey, no big hotels but a few amphi theatres can found for the SuperMeet. Good food as anywhere in Italy - except tourist regions. South of Tuscany is better, less tourist-influenced. Maybe Elba could be a place - using Napoleon's Chateau for the meeting

So what's about London. I like the humor, the city, even sometimes the food (it's not that bad as people say). But as Mike said - how to survive there. Ben offered alcoholics - but bed to sleep? Anyway transportation is fine and the people there have heard about nightlife. Mike can hire Wimbledon, raise the entrance price a bit and everybody gets an umbrella with the LAFCPUG logo on it.

About Paris I do have my own special opinion. I always feel like a stranger there, a tourist which doesn't speak any language anybody can understand - I don't speak french. Anyway it's nice to hang around and have 1 or more Pastis' in a street cafe and watching the traffic. And as always you will meet some nice people. Transportation is fine - prices are a bit too high and accommodation is difficult. To get the Louvre for the SuperMeet also is difficult - the rooms are big, but the shape doesn't fit.

Finally Berlin - great place. Good food, a lot of people from anywhere, good prices, good transport and accommodation and a lot of great places like the 'Waldbühne' to have the SuperMeet.

Finally there are many places here in Europe ?

Andreas smiling smiley
October 09, 2008 01:05PM

Find out if he has a Villa with a large tent suitable for 800 people. If he does, then we are there.

Grampa on my Father's side was from Tuscany.

"Was" means not any more...he's long dead.

October 10, 2008 05:30AM
Alas London is expensive and I have been to Rome but I think in London a FCP Supermeet would have such a great impact in london. Yes it is expensive but that will have to change because the days of picking your favorite number and charging it are over.
October 10, 2008 11:58AM
Yes it is expensive but that will have to change because the days of picking your favorite number and charging it are over.

Yeah, maybe its time to start an off topic thread on surviving in this economy. I'm not convinced that the "Shirley Temple" effect applies to the entertainment industry any longer. There is still no bottom to this financial mess we got ourselves into and since the world has gone broke, no way to spend our way out of it.

Interesting times.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 12, 2008 04:12AM
I haven't made it to last SuperMeet but as an European I can just say: don't go to Paris or Rome. The French don't like Americans (or any other people) and they will not only charge you more they will try to ignore you.
Rome I love, but since you mentioned pricing...I've been there like 5 times or so and since I'm living in Munich I can tell you that Rome is even MORE expensive in some places than Munich...and since the Dollar isn't very strong right now you should probably really think this over.
I don't like London and for me it'd be a reason not to attend but I could imagine that despite of the expensive prices you might get a good deal...speaking the same language and all...

P.S.: I rather add: OF COURSE not all French are the same...so if someone French is reading this don't be pissed about what I said...smoking smiley
October 12, 2008 10:33AM
Speaking of how much French people (in France) hate Americans...my Wife stopped over in Paris briefly on her way to Ukraine 2 years ago. All I know is that when her camera bag went through customs there (a ziplock bag with batteries / cables & a small automatic camera), she got it back...with WATER IN THE BAG. Nobody knew how it got in there INSIDE THE AIRPORT. I'm just sayin'.

I wouldn't go to Paris if airfare was free.

Tuscany it is!! Set it up Mike smileys with beer

October 12, 2008 11:40AM
Kind of reminds me of the joke:

Hell is a place where the cooks are British, the waiters are French, the policemen are Germans, and the trains are run by Italians - and the customers in the Restaurants are all Americans.

smiling smiley

And just a note in favor of the French; I've always had nothing but good times with those that I've met and have had nothing but wonderful times on my one and only visit to France. Would go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

SuperMeets transcend culture and language. They can be held anywhere. Just announce it and they will come. It's paying for it that is hard.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 12, 2008 11:55AM
There was another half to that joke!

Heaven is a place where the cooks are French, the waiters are Italian, the police are English, and the trains are run by the Germans.

Hell is a place where the cooks are English, the waiters are French, the police are German, and the trains are run by the Italians.

www.derekmok.com
October 13, 2008 04:15AM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kind of reminds me of the joke:
>
> Hell is a place where the cooks are British, the
> waiters are French, the policemen are Germans, and
> the trains are run by Italians - and the customers
> in the Restaurants are all Americans.

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley I didn't know that one.
Tuscany is probably very expensive too, might depend on the city though. Who's paying for the Supermeet by the way? Sponsors?
October 13, 2008 10:44AM
Sponsors do pay for the SuperMeets. Which is why we do them alongside big trade shows such as IBC and NAB. The sponsors are already there so its easier when we ask them to join us.

Next SuperMeet is Jan. 09 in San Francisco alongside Macworld.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 13, 2008 05:51PM
Mike,
We need a throw back UberMeet at MacWorld.
Kegs in the basement.
A Ton of Show and Tells.
Let's do it.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 13, 2008 06:56PM
I'd love to go back to that but hard to cram 600 people into a basement with 20 vendor tables. It's grown Kev

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 13, 2008 07:33PM
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da
Flo-ri-da

(Orlando)

The new Convention Center on International Drive is off the chain. Come to Florida.

October 13, 2008 07:54PM
We have the DV Expo Supermeet (MINI?) coming up November 5th Right? In LA
Kegs in the basement make for good meetings.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics